1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic vectors Q

1. Oct 25, 2013 #1
    htyNwwS.png

I can't even get started on part i), if anyone could give me a starting point and see where I go from there... thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2013 #2

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

I would start by drawing a picture. In part (i), they are asking for a proof of a very popular theorem in geometry; that each of the medians (the lines drawn from each vertex to the mid-point of the opposite side) intersect such that the median is split into two segments in the ratio 2:1 (i.e. the intersection is two thirds of the length of the median away from the vertex). Can you prove this?

4. Oct 25, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

To get started, draw the figure and label all the points and vectors...

5. Oct 25, 2013 #4
    no I can't construct a proof of this using vectors, i've constructed it using a coordinate system before but not with vectors. Using this fact I was able to prove i), but I'm not sure how I can prove the fact (which I'm sure I'll have to do)

I've done this, thanks.

6. Oct 26, 2013 #5
    here is what I have for part i):

## \vec{OL} = \dfrac{1}{2}(\vec{OA} + \vec{OC}) ##
    ## \vec{OG} = \vec{OB} + \dfrac{2}{3} \vec{BL} ##
    ## \vec{BL} = \vec{OL} - \vec{OB} = \dfrac{1}{2} (\vec{OA} + \vec{OC}) - \vec{OB} ##
    subbing this into ## \vec{OG} ## I get the required result

I think I need to prove that the medians are split in a 2:1 ratio, but how would I do it using vectors?

Also for part ii)what do they mean by ## a^2 + b^2 + c^2 ## it makes a note that ## a = |\vec{BC}| ## then what is b and c?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted