1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic (Very) chemistry

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    Is the following a mixture, element, compound, solution (homogeneous)

a) air ---im guessing solution because there is many different molecules and its clear

b) gasoline ---i cant decide whether gas is a solution or compound. The gasoline is made up of hydrogen and carbon.

oh one more question....

when converting

126 mm^3 to _____cm^3 ....how do you do that. I havent delt with squares and cubes before when converting. Is there a trick to it?. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2
    Air and gasoline are mixtures, air is a mixture of oxygen, nitrogen and other gases in trace quantities, gasoline is a mixture of Octane and other hydrocarbons.

as for the conversion, I think you'll get 0.126 as the answer. to do it yourself , you have the conversion factor 1cm=10mm, cube both sides and you'll get 1000 mm^3 = 1 cm^3 so 1 mm^3 = 10^(-3) cm^3, multiply both sides by 126 to get the answer.

4. Feb 4, 2006 #3
    I disagree with gasoline and air being mixtures. Here are a couple short definitions;

Mixture, a material that can be separated by physical means into two or more substances.

Solution, a mixture that is uniform in its properties throughout given samples.

If you have gas or air, they are all equally mixed and can't be seperated by phsyical means.

But, I could be wrong because for some reason those always confused me. If I was answering it, that is what I would put.

If you cheat that last one and type it into google, you get the same answer as aalmighty did. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?