Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic wave equation question

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    This is a fairly simple question, but the first such question I have done. Inorder to check my work I was hoping somone could show me how to normalize the following.

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-a[(mx^{2}/\hbar)+it][/tex]
    where m is the particles mass

And also that the expectation values of x and x2 would be.

Don't wory, this is not for a class, I am studying this on my own
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Psi^2 leads to a Gaussian integral, which is done by completing the square in the exponent.
    <x> is zero bly symmetry.
    <x^2>is found by integrating by parts.
  4. Jul 31, 2008 #3
    After playing with this I found

[tex]A = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{ait}[/tex]

[tex]\Psi = \sqrt[4]{\frac{2am}{\hbar\pi}}*e^{-amx^{2}/\hbar}[/tex]

Can annyone confirm this for me because I am realy uncomfortable with my answer.
  5. Jul 31, 2008 #4
    that looks alright, but have you lost your time component along the way? when calculating [tex]\left|A\right|^{2}[/tex] the time-dependence drops off, but you need to be sure to attach your value for [tex]A[/tex] to the full wavefunction. i think it should look like this? [tex]\Psi\left(x,t\right)=\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}e^{-amx^{2}/\hbar}e^{-iat}[/tex]
  6. Jul 31, 2008 #5
    the only think was that [tex]e^{iat}[/tex] from the second part of A canceld with [tex]e^{-iat}[/tex] from the wave function, or is that wrong.
  7. Jul 31, 2008 #6
    You would be correct, but technically you're [tex]A[/tex] is wrong. The [tex]e^{-iat}[/tex] term cancels with its conjugate in the process of calculating [tex]A[/tex] through normalization. [tex]A[/tex] should be just [tex]\left(2ma/\pi\hbar\right)^{1/4}[/tex]
  8. Jul 31, 2008 #7
    Looking back my mistake was simply squaring the wave function without taking the modulus first
  9. Aug 7, 2008 #8
    I was working with this a little more, and came up with a corisponding potential energy function of:

V(x) = [tex]2a^{2}mx^{2}[/tex]

Could anyone run it and verify that I have this right (My text has no answer key)?

Here is the wave function again.
    [tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{-a[(mx^{2}/\hbar)+it][/tex]
    where m is the particles mass
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?