Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Wiring (Strain Gauge)

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. I am installing a 350 ohm strain gauge as shown in attached figure. I am expecting to see 350ohm value between terminal 1 and 2. I have checked the values for the following terminals.

1) 5 & 6 = 350ohm (PASS)
    2) 3 & 4= 350ohm (PASS)
    3) 3 & 2= 350ohm (PASS)
    4) 4 & 1= 350ohm (PASS)
    5) 5 & 1= 0.03ohm (CLOSED LOOP) (PASS)
    6) 6 & 2=0.03ohm (CLOSED LOOP) (PASS)
    Any Point (1,2,3,4,5,6) and 7 (Various place on the test strip) = OPEN LOOP (PASS)
    1 & 2 = OPEN LOOP (FAIL!!!!!) NOT GETTING 350 Ohms

This seems to be unusual problem to have. I have personally tripled checked it. I have asked my friends to check it. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks

upload_2015-4-1_16-34-5.png

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I suggest you provide a link to the spec sheets for the device.

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3
    I thought it was an April Fools joke as what he says should be impossible.

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4
    I wish it was an April Fools joke. But seriously, I feel like I am defying physics here. The strain gauge I am using is CEA-13-125UN-350. I have attached the specs here. But, I am sure its nothing to do with the strain gauge itself. But, then again I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with the setup.

http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/11224/125un.pdf

Attached Files:

6. Apr 11, 2015 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Do you have the specs for the assembly shown in the photograph? The assembly in the photograph is more than "basic strain gauge".

7. Apr 11, 2015 #6
    yes attached along with the previous post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook