Troubleshooting a 350 Ohm Strain Gauge Installation

In summary, the conversation revolves around the installation of a 350 ohm strain gauge, with the expectation of seeing a 350 ohm value between terminal 1 and 2. However, the values for various terminals and points on the test strip show either a closed loop or an open loop, with a failed result for the 1 & 2 terminals. Despite multiple checks and inquiries, the issue remains unresolved and the strain gauge itself is not believed to be the problem. The conversation also mentions the availability of spec sheets for the device and the assembly shown in the attached photograph.
Matt2015
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this one. I am installing a 350 ohm strain gauge as shown in attached figure. I am expecting to see 350ohm value between terminal 1 and 2. I have checked the values for the following terminals.

1) 5 & 6 = 350ohm (PASS)
2) 3 & 4= 350ohm (PASS)
3) 3 & 2= 350ohm (PASS)
4) 4 & 1= 350ohm (PASS)
5) 5 & 1= 0.03ohm (CLOSED LOOP) (PASS)
6) 6 & 2=0.03ohm (CLOSED LOOP) (PASS)
Any Point (1,2,3,4,5,6) and 7 (Various place on the test strip) = OPEN LOOP (PASS)
1 & 2 = OPEN LOOP (FAIL!) NOT GETTING 350 Ohms

This seems to be unusual problem to have. I have personally tripled checked it. I have asked my friends to check it. Does anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong here.Thanks

upload_2015-4-1_16-34-5.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest you provide a link to the spec sheets for the device.

I thought it was an April Fools joke as what he says should be impossible.

I wish it was an April Fools joke. But seriously, I feel like I am defying physics here. The strain gauge I am using is CEA-13-125UN-350. I have attached the specs here. But, I am sure its nothing to do with the strain gauge itself. But, then again I feel there is absolutely nothing wrong with the setup.http://www.vishaypg.com/docs/11224/125un.pdf

Attachments

• 125un.pdf
    560.5 KB · Views: 263
Matt2015 said:
I have attached the specs here.

Do you have the specs for the assembly shown in the photograph? The assembly in the photograph is more than "basic strain gauge".

yes attached along with the previous post.

1. What is a strain gauge?

A strain gauge is a device used for measuring strain on an object by converting mechanical deformation into electrical signals. It consists of a thin wire or foil element that changes its resistance when stretched or compressed.

2. How does a strain gauge work?

A strain gauge works by using the principle of piezoresistivity, which states that the electrical resistance of a material changes when it is subjected to mechanical stress. When a strain is applied to the gauge, the wire or foil element stretches or compresses, causing a change in its resistance. This change in resistance is then measured by the gauge and converted into an electrical signal.

3. What are the common applications of strain gauges?

Strain gauges are commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering for measuring stress and strain on various components and structures. They are also used in geotechnical monitoring to measure the stability of structures such as bridges and dams. In scientific research, strain gauges are used for measuring the forces acting on biological tissues and materials.

4. How is a strain gauge installed?

A strain gauge is typically bonded to the surface of an object using a special adhesive. The object is then subjected to a known force, causing a change in the gauge's resistance. This change is calibrated and used to calculate the strain on the object. In some cases, strain gauges can also be embedded within a material during its manufacturing process.

5. Can strain gauges measure both tension and compression?

Yes, strain gauges can measure both tension and compression. When the gauge is stretched, its resistance increases, and when it is compressed, its resistance decreases. This allows for the measurement of both types of strain. However, the gauge must be properly installed and calibrated for accurate measurements to be obtained.