Basicity Order Questions: Exploring the Ortho Effect and Substituent Influence

• Thread starter sachin123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basicity
In summary, the conversation covers the topics of basicity and hyperconjugation in different positions of aniline and nitro compounds. The participants also discuss the ortho effect and its applicability to various substituents. They also mention clarifying any confusion and requesting for the thread to be moved to the appropriate forum.
sachin123
Hey folks.
The orders given are stated in my book.I'm here to ask why.

basicity: p-methyl aniline>m-()>aniline>o-()
p exerts hyperconjugation and +I,m only +I ,but ortho exerts hyperconjugation and higher +I.
Shouldn't o-methyl aniline have high basicity?

basicity: aniline>m-nitro()>p-nitro()>o-nitro()
Why is o- at last?Shouldn't it move NH2 out of plane so that no -R takes place?

And is the ortho effect applicable to all substituents?Can you clear this for me?
Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
PLease tell me if my post isn't clear(and where).

Ask the moderators of this forum to move your thread to the Chem folder. Send a PM to Moonbear.

This is the chem place isn't it?

Thank you for your questions. The basicity order of substituted anilines can be explained by the electronic and steric effects of the substituents. In the first case, the p-methyl aniline has the highest basicity due to the combined effects of hyperconjugation and the +I effect of the methyl group. The ortho effect, which refers to the increased stability of a molecule due to the presence of a substituent at the ortho position, also contributes to the higher basicity of p-methyl aniline compared to o-methyl aniline. This is because the ortho position is closer to the lone pair of electrons on the nitrogen atom, leading to stronger hyperconjugation and a higher +I effect.

In the second case, the basicity order of substituted nitroanilines can be explained by the -R effect of the nitro group, which withdraws electron density from the nitrogen atom, making it less basic. The m-nitroaniline has the highest basicity because the nitro group is in the meta position, which is farther away from the nitrogen atom compared to the para and ortho positions. The o-nitroaniline has the lowest basicity as the nitro group is in the ortho position, which is closest to the nitrogen atom and has the strongest -R effect.

The ortho effect is applicable to all substituents, but its strength may vary depending on the substituent. For example, the +I effect of a methyl group is stronger than that of a nitro group, leading to a stronger ortho effect in the case of p-methyl aniline compared to p-nitroaniline. Additionally, steric hindrance can also play a role in the basicity order of substituted anilines, as bulky substituents may hinder the approach of a base to the nitrogen atom.

I hope this helps clarify the basicity order and the role of the ortho effect and substituent influence in determining basicity.

What is basicity order?

Basicity order refers to the relative strength of bases in a chemical reaction. This order is determined by the ability of a base to accept protons from an acid.

How is basicity order determined?

Basicity order is determined by the stability of the resulting conjugate acid after the base accepts a proton. The more stable the conjugate acid, the stronger the base and the higher its basicity order.

What factors affect basicity order?

The electronegativity of the atom holding the negative charge, the size of the atom, and the inductive effect all affect basicity order. Generally, the more electronegative and smaller the atom, the stronger the base and the higher its basicity order.

What is the difference between basicity and acidity?

Basicity refers to the strength of a base, while acidity refers to the strength of an acid. Basicity and acidity are inversely related, meaning a strong base will have a low acidity and vice versa.

How does basicity order affect chemical reactions?

The basicity order of a base will determine its reactivity in a chemical reaction. Bases with a higher basicity order will be more reactive and more likely to participate in reactions compared to bases with a lower basicity order.