Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of Fusion

1. Dec 21, 2004 #1
    Hello I just recently finshed physics honors on a high school level, but my class because of bad weather, and a tight schedule was unable to go over anything having to deal with automic physics. Could anybody direct me to understanding fussion, and the theories that have been brought up about making energy with cold fusion?

Thanks alot.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 29, 2004 #3
    Whats the lastest ideas on Cold Fusion then?? i just read some stuff on the Fleischmann and Pons work and it appears it was never rejected and yet i havnt heard of any research being conducted ATM. I thought the Fleischmann and Pons work produced 50%+ more energy than put in? this would make it a very worthwhile source of energy!! whats going on here?

5. Dec 29, 2004 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... you JUST read some stuff on this? (i) where did you read it (it would be nice if you give a complete citation); (ii) how OLD is this thing that you read?

Please read Bob Park's book "Voodoo Science". He described in painful detail (since he practically had a front-row seat to the whole debacle) the saga of this "cold fusion" up to 2001 (the book publication date). So maybe this will get you up to speed.

Zz.

6. Dec 29, 2004 #5

Doc Al

cold fusion = psuedoscience

As far as I know, no one has been able to duplicate the results that F & P claimed. The whole "cold fusion" debacle is considered something of a scandal.

7. Dec 29, 2004 #6

Doc Al

A great book! (And Bob Park is hilarious.)

8. Dec 29, 2004 #7
    ok i will, thx guys, i think the website was pretty old. ;)

9. Jan 1, 2005 #8
  10. Jan 7, 2005 #9

LURCH

Science Advisor

BA,

You can also check this link on "Fusion Basics" from the Princeton Plasma Physics lab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?