What are the recommended books for learning the basics of quantum mechanics?

In summary, you should start with Zettili's book, and move onto Griffiths if you want a more rigorous introduction.
altaf123
good afternoon i want to learn the following topics in the lucid way:
eigen value,eigen function and related problems of particle in a box, harmonic oscillator,tunneling through barrier,wave function in cordinate and momentum representation,commutators

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for a book recommendation? I hope so. I'll let someone else answer, since I studied those things in a book I didn't like. (Gasiorowicz).

My favorite book for these basics is Morrison "Under standing quantum Physics - a User's manual".

So you pretty much want to learn the first semester of a QM courses!

I recommend Zettili's Quantum Mechanics text.

How much physics and math have you studied already?

jtbell said:
How much physics and math have you studied already?

Exactly.

IMHO THE book to get is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Approach.

However it is graduate level meaning at a minimum your mathematics needs to be up the scratch and preferably, but not totally required if your math is up to scratch, a previous exposure to QM.

As a prelude a lot of people have suggested Griffiths - Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. I have that book - its OK but way overpriced. I think David McMahon's - Quantum Mechanics Demystified is just as good and a lot cheaper. But eventually you should move onto Griffiths because of the careful axiomatic approach he adopts as well the 'correct' development of Schrodinger's equation etc via symmetries.

Thanks
Bill

My favorites are:

P.A.M. Dirac, The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics (>=2nd edition as a starter),
L. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics, a modern development (to learn about the interpretations),
S. Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (for a lot of details, missed in other books)

Last but not least there is also the marvelous book by Schwinger, which however is not written in the common language of the physics community, but it's a gem from a master on the subject:

J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics, Symbolism of Atomic Measurements

For path integrals:

Feynman, Hibbs, Path Integrals
Kleinert, Path Integrals

bhobba said:
Exactly.
IMHO THE book to get is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Approach.

However it is graduate level meaning at a minimum your mathematics needs to be up the scratch and preferably, but not totally required if your math is up to scratch, a previous exposure to QM.

As a prelude a lot of people have suggested Griffiths - Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. I have that book - its OK but way overpriced. I think David McMahon's - Quantum Mechanics Demystified is just as good and a lot cheaper. But eventually you should move onto Griffiths because of the careful axiomatic approach he adopts as well the 'correct' development of Schrodinger's equation etc via symmetries.

I'm a big fan of Griffiths, which my advisor half-mockingly calls "the dead cat book." It's very popular, though not unanimously so, with undergrad and grad students as an introductory book.

I think Ballentine is absolutely horrible as an introduction. However, I also think it's a great book for people who have spent a lot of time with QM and are tired of the "shut up and calculate" attitude. Even those who disagree with Ballentine often agree that he phrases important topics in a precise and useful way.

What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles interact and behave in ways that are different from the classical laws of physics.

What are the basic principles of quantum mechanics?

The basic principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition. It also incorporates the concept of quantum entanglement, where particles can be connected and affect each other even when separated by large distances.

What are the applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous applications in various fields, including computing, cryptography, and medicine. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies such as lasers, transistors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

What is the role of probability in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the behavior of particles is described by mathematical equations that involve probabilities. This is because at the subatomic level, particles do not have definite positions or velocities, and their behavior can only be predicted in terms of probabilities.

How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through the use of mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation, which describes the wave-like nature of particles. It also incorporates the concept of wavefunction collapse, where the act of observing or measuring a particle causes it to take on a definite state.