Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of quantum mechanics

1. Mar 16, 2013 #1
    good afternoon i want to learn the following topics in the lucid way:
    eigen value,eigen function and related problems of particle in a box, harmonic oscillator,tunneling through barrier,wave function in cordinate and momentum representation,commutators

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you asking for a book recommendation? I hope so. I'll let someone else answer, since I studied those things in a book I didn't like. (Gasiorowicz).

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    My favorite book for these basics is Morrison "Under standing quantum Physics - a User's manual".

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4
    So you pretty much want to learn the first semester of a QM courses!

I recommend Zettili's Quantum Mechanics text.

6. Mar 16, 2013 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How much physics and math have you studied already?

7. Mar 17, 2013 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly.

IMHO THE book to get is Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Approach.

However it is graduate level meaning at a minimum your mathematics needs to be up the scratch and preferably, but not totally required if your math is up to scratch, a previous exposure to QM.

As a prelude a lot of people have suggested Griffiths - Introduction To Quantum Mechanics. I have that book - its OK but way overpriced. I think David McMahon's - Quantum Mechanics Demystified is just as good and a lot cheaper. But eventually you should move onto Griffiths because of the careful axiomatic approach he adopts as well the 'correct' development of Schrodinger's equation etc via symmetries.

Thanks
    Bill

8. Mar 18, 2013 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

My favorites are:

P.A.M. Dirac, The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
    J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics (>=2nd edition as a starter),
    L. Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics, a modern development (to learn about the interpretations),
    S. Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics (for a lot of details, missed in other books)

Last but not least there is also the marvelous book by Schwinger, which however is not written in the common language of the physics community, but it's a gem from a master on the subject:

J. Schwinger, Quantum Mechanics, Symbolism of Atomic Measurements

For path integrals:

Feynman, Hibbs, Path Integrals
    Kleinert, Path Integrals

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8
    I'm a big fan of Griffiths, which my advisor half-mockingly calls "the dead cat book." It's very popular, though not unanimously so, with undergrad and grad students as an introductory book.

I think Ballentine is absolutely horrible as an introduction. However, I also think it's a great book for people who have spent a lot of time with QM and are tired of the "shut up and calculate" attitude. Even those who disagree with Ballentine often agree that he phrases important topics in a precise and useful way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook