1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of the Stress Energy Tensor

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello I'm trying to self study A First Course in General Relativity (2E) by Schutz and I've come across a problem that I need some advice on.

Here it is:
    Use the identity Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 to prove the following results for a bounded system (ie. a system for which Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 outside of a bounded region
    a)
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x=0

2. Relevant equations
    T is a symmetric tensor so Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex]=T[itex]\nu μ[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The Integral is over spatial variables so I brought the integral inside making
    [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x
    =[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex]d3x
    =[itex]\int[/itex]T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0d3x
    and then I would say I use the identity given to say T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=0

In the solution manual though, Schutz says the identity gives us that
    T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=-Tj0,j for a reason that completely eludes me and then used gauss' law to convert it to a surface integral, then said that since the region of integration is unbounded the integral can be taken anywhere (ie outside of the bounded region where T=0).

Does anybody know why I can't just say that T0[itex]\alpha[/itex],0=0 from the identity Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, Mason. Welcome to PF!

Keep in mind the Einstein summation convention: a repeated index denotes summation over that index. So, the left hand side of Tμ[itex]\nu[/itex],[itex]\nu[/itex]=0 is actually the sum of 4 terms.

Note that this equation can't be correct. There is a lone ##\alpha## index on the left, but no ##\alpha## index on the right. Did you copy this equation correctly?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted