1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis and matrices

1. Apr 9, 2006 #1
    Consider the basis B of R^2 consisting of vectors

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

find x in R^2 whose coordinate vector relative to the basis B is

[tex][x]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}6 & 5 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

I need to find x

i'm not sure what a coordinate vector is but here's how I would solve this:

-x6+y=6
    -x2+3y=5

solving for x and y, i get [tex]x = \left(\begin{array}{c}-.8125 & 1.125 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

this is not correct and I'm not sure how to find x

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2006 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, if {v,w} is an ordered basis for your space, then any vector x in your space can be expressed as a linear combination of v and w, i.e. there exists numbers a and b such that x = av + bw. Then, with respect to the ordered basis {v,w}, the coordinate vector of x would be (a b)T.

Note:

[tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 3 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}0 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

4. Apr 9, 2006 #3
    what was done to show that [tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]?

5. Apr 9, 2006 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at:

In general, if {v,w} is an ordered basis for your space, then any vector x in your space can be expressed as a linear combination of v and w, i.e. there exists numbers a and b such that x = av + bw. Then, with respect to the ordered basis {v,w}, the coordinate vector of x would be (a b)T.

I found a to be 1, and b to be 0, when taking x to be v, i.e. the first vector in your ordered basis.

6. Apr 9, 2006 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just reread this section of your textbook until you become more comfortable with it. Try the problems as well, but if you're still getting stuck with the basic ones, go back and reread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?