Basis and Vector Spaces: Proof of Linear Independence and Spanning Property

In summary, the set of vectors S is a basis for the vector space V if the following conditions are met: 1. The set of vectors spans V, and 2. The set of all vectors is linear independent.
Mathman23
(Urgend)Basis and Vector Spaces (Need review of my proof)

Hi I'm trying to proof the following statement:

Here is my own idear for a proof that the set of vectors

[tex]v = \{v_{1}, v_{1} + v_{2},v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} [/tex]

Definition: Basis for Vector Space

Let V be a Vector Space. A set of vectors in V is a basis for V if the following conditions are meet:

1. The set vectors spans V.
2. The set of all vectors is linear independent.

Proof:

(2) The vectors in v is said to be linear independent iff there doesn't exists scalars [tex]C = (c_1,c_2,c_3) \neq 0[/tex] such that

[tex]v = c_1 (v_1) + c_2 (v_1+v_2) + c_3 (v_1 + v_2 + v_3) = 0[/tex]

By expression the above in matrix-equation form:

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} v_{11}& (v_{11} + v_{12})& (v_{11} + v_{12} + v_{13}) \\v_{21}& (v_{21} + v_{22})& (v_{21} + v_{22} + v_{23})\\v_{31}& (v_{31} + v_{32})& (v_{31} + v_{32} + v_{33})\\ \end{array} \right]\] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{c} c_1 \\ c_2 \\ c_3 \end{array} \right] = 0 \] \end{array}[/itex]

If v is fixed, it can be concluded that matrix columbs of v are linear independent cause the only solution for the equation vC = 0 is the trivial solution(zero-vector):

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} c_{1} \\c_{2} \\c_{3} \\ \end{array} \right]\] = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] \] \end{array}[/itex]

Which implies the dependence relation between v and C doesn't exist since C = 0.

(1) Since the only solution for matrix equation is the trivial solution, then according to the definition for the Span of a vector subspace, then the set of v spans V.

This proves that the set of is it fact a basis for the Vector Space V.

Is my proof valid?

Sincerely
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your "theorem" is not well stated. You're trying to prove that the set

[tex]S = \{v_{1}, v_{1} + v_{2},v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} [/tex]

is what? A basis for a vector space V?

If this is what your trying to prove you need to add constrictions on the vectors v1, v2, etc... for example v1 can not equal zero because any set containing the zero vector is linearly dependent.

JFo said:
Your "theorem" is not well stated. You're trying to prove that the set

is what? A basis for a vector space V?

If this is what your trying to prove you need to add constrictions on the vectors v1, v2, etc... for example v1 can not equal zero because any set containing the zero vector is linearly dependent.

Hello

I'm indeed trying to prove that

is a basis for V.

If I add the constiction that[tex] S \neq 0 [/tex] is my proof valid?

Sincerely
Fre

How do [tex]v_1,\ v_2,\ v_3[/tex] relate to V?

shmoe said:
How do [tex]v_1,\ v_2,\ v_3[/tex] relate to V?

Its know in my assigment that the set T = [tex] \{v_1,\ v_2,\ v_3 \}[/tex] is a basis for the Vector Space V.

I'm tasked with showing that the set S mentioned in my previous post is also a basis for V.

I add that detail shmoe is my proof then valid?

Sincerly
Fred

Mathman23 said:
If v is fixed, it can be concluded that matrix columbs of v are linear independent cause the only solution for the equation vC = 0 is the trivial solution(zero-vector):

I don't see how this follows from what you've written. Could you explain more why you think the only solution is the trivial one?

Yes,

If v is nonzero and fixed then the only solution for the matrix equation vC = 0 is the trivial solution.

/Fred

shmoe said:
I don't see how this follows from what you've written. Could you explain more why you think the only solution is the trivial one?

What is a basis in linear algebra?

A basis in linear algebra refers to a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in a vector space. This means that any vector in the vector space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

What is the significance of a basis in linear algebra?

A basis is significant because it allows us to represent vectors in a more efficient way. Instead of having to specify the coordinates of each vector, we can simply specify the coefficients of the linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes calculations and transformations in linear algebra much easier.

Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. This is because there can be different sets of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in the vector space. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.

What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and operations defined on those vectors. These operations include vector addition and scalar multiplication, and they must satisfy certain axioms such as closure and associativity. Vector spaces are used in linear algebra to study the properties of vectors and their transformations.

What is the difference between a basis and a spanning set?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in a vector space. A spanning set, on the other hand, is a set of vectors that can be used to generate all other vectors in a vector space through linear combinations. A basis is a special type of spanning set that is both linearly independent and minimal, meaning it has the fewest number of vectors needed to represent all other vectors in the vector space.