1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for a Vector space

1. Mar 7, 2006 #1
    Hi

Given a Vector Space V which has the basis [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3} \} [/tex] then I need to prove that the following set v = [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex] is also a basis for V.

I know that in order for v to be a basis for V then [tex]V = span \{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex], and the vectors of v need to be linear independent.

but by showing that the vectors of v are linear independent is the best way of show that v is a basis for V?

Sincerely
    Fred

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Probably.

Also do you have the theorem that if {b1, ... ,bn} is a basis for a vector space V, then any linearly independent set of n vectors in V is also a basis?

4. Mar 7, 2006 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

We know that every vector [tex]v\in V[/tex] can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis vectors [tex]\{ v_{1}, v_{2}, v_{3} \} , [/tex] that is there exists scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 .[/tex] Is the same true of [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex]?

5. Mar 7, 2006 #4
    if I express [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \}[/tex] as a set of vectors [tex]\{x,y,z\}[/tex] which can be expressed

[tex]v=c_1 x +c_2 y+c_3 z.[/tex]

Then its the same.

Sincerely
    Fred

6. Mar 7, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

I want to be sure you understand:

Suppose I take a linear combination of the vectors [tex]\{v_{1}, v_{1}+ v_{2}, v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} , [/tex] this is then a linear combination of linear combinations of the given basis vectors, which is again, a linear combination of the given basis vectors, which every vector in V may be expressed as. Follow?

7. Mar 7, 2006 #6
    I get it ;)

Then I show that the linear combination of the linear combination er linear independent ??

c1 * v1 = 0

c2 * (v1+v2) = 0

c3 * (v1 + v2 + v3) = 0

Sincerly
    Fred

8. Mar 7, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

Indeed, the existence of scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 [/tex] implies it, then there also exists scalars a,b,c such that [tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3).[/tex]

Proof: Fix v. Let the above hypothesis be so. Then

[tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3)=(a+b+c)v_1 + (b+c)v_2+cv_3 [/tex]

but we know there exist scalars [tex]c_{1}, c_{2}, c_{3} [/tex] such that [tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3 ,[/tex]

so set these equal to obtain

[tex]v=c_1v_1+c_2v_2+c_3v_3=(a+b+c)v_1 + (b+c)v_2+cv_3 [/tex]

equate coefficients of the v_k's to get the systems of equations [tex]c_1=a+b+c,c_2=b+c,c_3=c[/tex] so that we may take [tex]c=c_3, b=c_2-c_3,a=c_1-c_2[/tex] and hence there must also exists scalars a,b,c such that [tex]v=av_1+b(v_1+v_2)+c(v_1+v_2+v_3),[/tex] as required.

9. Mar 8, 2006 #8
    Here is my own idear for a proof that the set of vectors [tex]v = \{v_{1}, v_{1} + v_{2},v_{1} + v_{2} + v_{3} \} [/tex] is a basis for the vector space V.

Definition: Basis for Vector Space

Let V be a Vector Space. A set of vectors in V is a basis for V if the following conditions are meet:

1. The set vectors spans V.
    2. The set of all vectors is linear independent.

Proof:

(2) The vectors in v is said to be linear independent iff there doesn't exists scalars [tex]C = (c_1,c_2,c_3) \neq 0[/tex] such that

[tex]v = c_1 (v_1) + c_2 (v_1+v_2) + c_3 (v_1 + v_2 + v_3) = 0[/tex]

By expression the above in matrix-equation form:

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
    v_{11}& (v_{11} + v_{12})& (v_{11} + v_{12} + v_{13}) \\
    v_{21}& (v_{21} + v_{22})& (v_{21} + v_{22} + v_{23})\\
    v_{31}& (v_{31} + v_{32})& (v_{31} + v_{32} + v_{33})\\
    \end{array} \right]\] \cdot \left[ \begin{array}{c} c_1 \\ c_2 \\ c_3 \end{array} \right] = 0 \] \end{array}[/itex]

If v is fixed, it can be concluded that matrix columbs of v are linear independent cause the only solution for the equation vC = 0 is the trivial solution(zero-vector):

[itex]\begin{array}{cc}\[ \left[ \begin{array}{ccc}
    c_{1} \\
    c_{2} \\
    c_{3} \\
    \end{array} \right]\] = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right] \] \end{array}[/itex]

Which implies the dependence relation between v and C doesn't exist since C = 0.

(1) Since the only solution for matrix equation is the trivial solution, then according to the definition for the Span of a vector subspace, then the set of v spans V.

This proves that the set of is it fact a basis for the Vector Space V.

Is my proof valid???

Sincerely
    Fred

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?