What is the Basis for an Extension Field Adjoined with an Element?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the basis of a field adjoined with an element, specifically Q(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3)). The degree of this element is 4, so the basis should have 4 dimensions. The actual basis is {1, sqrt(2), sqrt(3), sqrt(6)}, but it is not clear how sqrt(6) can be obtained as a Q-linear combination of sqrt(2) and sqrt(3). The key to understanding this concept is to show that sqrt(6) is independent from sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) over Q, which will result in a basis of {1, sqrt(2), sqrt(3), sqrt(6)}.
Prometheos
I am having no luck understanding how to find the basis of a field adjoined with an element.

For example
Q(sqrt(2)+sqrt(3))
I know that if i take a=sqrt(2)+sqrt(3) that i can find a polynomial (1/4)x^4 - (5/2)x^2 + 1/4 that when evaluated at a is equal to zero.

So, from that I know the degree is 4 and the basis should have 4 dimensions.

{1, sqrt(2), sqrt(3), Y} where Y is the part I don't understand.
{1, sqrt(2), sqrt(3), sqrt(6)} is the actual basis, but how do you get sqrt(6) as Y?

I don't see how it is a linear combination of sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) as defined in the book I'm using. Since it should be a additive combination of scalars from Q times sqrt(2) and sqrt(3)... but the only way to obtain sqrt(6) is sqrt(2)*sqrt(3), in which neither are scalars as elements of Q.

Any help understanding this concept is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, you should not be able to get sqrt(6) as a Q-linear combination of sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) for otherwise the set {1,sqrt(2), sqrt(3), sqrt(6)} would be dependent and therefore not a basis. You know that sqrt(6) is in your field however (being the product of sqrt(2) and sqrt(3)) so if you can show it is independent from sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) over Q you will have your basis (since you already know the dimension is 4).

So by putting sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) adjoined to the field, then it has to have multiplicative closure so sqrt(6) has to be there... so simple now that I think about it.

Thanks!

What is a basis for an extension field?

A basis for an extension field is a set of elements that can be used to generate all other elements in the field through linear combinations. It is analogous to a basis for a vector space.

Why is a basis important for extension fields?

A basis is important because it allows us to understand the structure of the field and perform mathematical operations efficiently. It also helps us to determine whether two extension fields are isomorphic.

How is a basis for an extension field determined?

A basis for an extension field can be determined by finding a set of linearly independent elements that span the field. This can be done through various methods such as the primitive element theorem or the basis extension theorem.

Can a basis for an extension field have more than one element?

Yes, a basis for an extension field can have more than one element. In fact, for a finite extension field, the basis will have a finite number of elements.

How does the degree of an extension field relate to its basis?

The degree of an extension field is equal to the number of elements in its basis. This means that for a finite extension field, the degree is the same as the number of linearly independent elements in its basis.