1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for subspace

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose T is a linear operator on R^4 such that T(a,b,c,d) = (a + b, b - c, a + c, a + d). Find a basis for the T-cyclic subspace of R^4 generated by z = (1, 0, 0, 0)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I found a basis, but I don't think the method I used was the most efficient way. To save you the tedious calculations, I'll post an outline of what I did.

First denote the T-cyclic subspace in question by W. Then since W is a subspace of R^4,
    1<= dim(W) <= 4. Now dim(W) cannot be equal to 1, for then any single vector in W would be a basis for W (since a set consisting of a single vector is linearly independent) and (1, 0, 0, 0) does NOT span W (I've computed enough vectors in W to know this). So we have
    2<= dim(W) <= 4. The set { (1, 0, 0, 0), (1, 0, 1, 1) } is linearly independent, both those vectors are in W, and so if dim(W) = 2, then that set should span W, but it doesn't.
    So we have 3 <= dim(W) <=4. What I did now was take 4 vectors that span W and showed that they aren't linearly independent, and so this must mean that dim(W) = 3, and so I took those 4 vectors that I found that span W, removed one, and showed that the other 3 are linearly independent, which is my basis.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't know the answer to your question, but some of the things you have written are incorrect.
    1. The set {0} is a subspace of R4 (and lots of other vector spaces), but the dimension of this subspace is 0.
    2. The set {0} is linearly dependent, not linearly independent. The equation a0 = 0 has an infinite number of solutions.

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    1. The dimension of W cannot be 0, because then W = {0} which I know isn't true.
    2. I should have said that a set consisting of a single NON-ZERO vector is linearly independent. Either way, W still cannot be one dimensional since it isn't spanned by (1, 0, 0, 0)

Surely there has to be a way to find a basis without going through all the stuff I did?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your description of what you are doing is a little unclear, but if you mean that {z,T(z)} is linearly independent that's ok. Then you looked at {z,T(z),T(T(z))}, right? Just keep adding T^n(z) for increasing values of n until you get a linearly dependent set. Then you know you've added one too many.

6. Jun 29, 2009 #5
    Beautiful - that's much simpler than what I was trying to do. Thanks.

7. Jun 29, 2009 #6
    Just one question...

You said to keep increasing the value of n for T^n(z) until I get a linearly dependent set. Say the set {z, T(z), T^2(z)} is linearly independent and also suppose that when I choose n = 3, then the set {z, T(z), T^2(z), T^3(z)} is linearly dependent. That doesn't necessarily mean that any set consisting of 4 vectors from the T-cyclic subspace is going to be linearly dependent, does it? So then is it possible that there is another value of n, say n = 56, so that the set {z, T(z), T^2(z), T^56(z)} is linearly independent?

8. Jun 29, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good question. If {z,T(z),T^2(z),T^3(z)} is linearly dependent then you can write T^3(z)=a*z+b*T(z)+c*T^2(z). What does that tell you about T^4(z) etc?

9. Jun 29, 2009 #8
    If T^3(z) = a*z+b*T(z)+c*T^2(z) then T^4(z) = a*T(z) + b*T^2(z) + c*T^3(z)
    = a*T(z) + b*T^2(z) + c*(a*z+b*T(z)+c*T^2(z))

= (c*a)*z + a*T(z) + b*T^2(z) + c*a*T(z) + c^2*T^2(z)

with at least one of a, b, or c being non-zero (For if a = b = c =0 then T^4(z) would be the zero vector and the set {z, T^(z), T^2(z), T^4(z)} would be linearly dependent).

If a is non-zero, then T^4(z) = a*T(z) + ... the rest with a being non-zero

If b is non-zero, then T^4(z) = b*T^2(z) + ... the rest with b being non-zero

If c is non-zero, then T^4(z) = c^2*T^2(z) + ... the rest with c^2 being non-zero

And so T^4(z) can be written as a linear combination of the vectors z, T(z), T^2(z) and so the set {z, T(z), T^2(z), T^4(z)} is linearly dependent, and by induction the set {z, T(z), T^2(z), T^n(z)} is linearly dependent for all positive integers n >= 3

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  10. Jun 29, 2009 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a bit overcomplicated. But sure, if T^3(z) can be expressed in terms of T^2(z), T(z) and z, then so can T^4(z) and so on. Just apply T and replace powers greater than 2 with linear combinations of T^2(z), T(z) and z.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook