Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for the intersection of two spans

1. Aug 18, 2004 #1
    Let S and T be two spans of vectors, what's the general method to find a basis for the intersection of S and T (SnT)? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2004 #2
    My thoughts:

Suppose, without loss of generality, that the vectors that span S and T are linearly independant (otherwise, we may remove the dependant vectors without changing the span). (I'm also assuming that the vectors come from the same vector space). Let S = Span{s_1, ..., s_n} and T = Span{t_1, ..., t_m}.

The intersection of S and T = {x; x = s_1a_1 + ... + s_na_n and x = t_1b_1 + ... t_mb_m, for some scalars a_1, ..., a_n, etc} = {the set of all solutions in a_1, etc to s_1a_1 + ... + s_na_n = t_1b_1 + ... t_mb_m}. Thus, finding a basis for the intersection is equivalent to finding a basis for the solution space of that particular equation. While I don't know how to proceed in the general case, it should be pretty easy for R^n, say. An example in R^3:

S = Span{ [1,1,1], [3,0,2] }
    T = Span{ [0,2,1], [5,1,0] }

We're looking for a basis for the solution space to this equation:

a[1,1,1] + b[3,0,2] - c[0,2,1] - d[5,1,0] = [0,0,0]

<=>

[a + 3b + 5d, a - 2c + d, a + 2b - c] = [0,0,0]

<=>

{ a + 3b + 5d = 0
    { a - 2c - d = 0
    { a + 2b - c = 0

<=>

{ a = -17t
    { b = 4t
    { c = -9t
    { d = t, t is any scalar.

I.e. any vector in the intersection can be written on the form a[1,1,1] + b[3,0,2] = -17t[1,1,1] + 4t[3,0,2] = t[5,-17,-9], so { [5, -17, -9] } is a basis for the intersection.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  4. Sep 23, 2004 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i.e. write equations for both spaces then find a basis of the simultaneous solutions of all the equations.

e.g. if V1,...,Vn is a basis for one space, and if W1,...,Wm is a basis for the second space, first find a basis X1,...,Xr for the space of vectors perpendicular to all the V's.

Then find a basis Y1,...Ys for the vectors perpendicular to all the W's.

Then finally find a basis for all the vectors perpendicular to all the X's and Y's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?