Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis function method

1. Feb 28, 2005 #1
    Psi(x) = Sumationn CnPhin(x)

in order to find Cn, i have to multiply both side of the above equation by Phi*k(x) and take the integral. The result is Ck if n = k. My question is what is the value of Phi*k(x)?

i know that multiplying both side of the equation by Phi*k(x) would make the function orthonormal when n != k, and normalize when n = k. But i don't know how to find it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this:[tex]\psi(x)=\sum_{n}C_{n}\phi_{n}(x) [/tex](1)...?

Is the basis [tex] \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/tex] orthonormal...?If so,then multiply (1) by [itex] \phi_{k}^{*}(x)[/itex],sum after "k" & integrate after "x"...

Daniel.

4. Mar 1, 2005 #3
    what is the condition for [tex] \{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty} [/tex] to be orthonormal? thanks

5. Mar 1, 2005 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Per definition, if the following holds, the set [itex]\{\phi_{n} \}_{n=1}^{\infty}[/itex] is orthonormal:

[tex]\langle \phi_i|\phi_j\rangle = \int \limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\phi_i^*(x)\phi_j(x)\; dx=\delta_{ij}[/tex]

6. Mar 1, 2005 #5
    can you provide an example?

7. Mar 1, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hidrogenoid functions are an interesting example.SHO eigenfunctions are other example.Rigid rotator is another example.Infinite square well and so on,and so forth.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?