Exploring Quantum Mechanics: Propagators and Green's Functions

In summary: So to summarize, the basis refers to the set of complete axes with which we can express a ket, and the representation refers to the functional form of the expression in that basis. We can also express a ket in terms of different bases, and the amplitudes in those bases are still considered representations.
Niles
Hi

I am, at the moment, reading about propagators and Green's functions in QM. An example of a Green's function in some γ-basis is

[tex]
G(\gamma, t, t') = - i\left\langle {c_\gamma \left( t \right),c_\gamma ^ \dagger\left( {t'} \right)} \right\rangle
[/tex]

Now, if I expand this in terms of eigenstates [itex]\left| n \right\rangle [/itex]of the Hamiltonian, we obtain

[tex]
G(\gamma, t, t') \propto \sum\limits_{n,n'} {\left\langle n \right|c_\gamma ^{} \left| {n'} \right\rangle \left\langle {n'} \right|c_\gamma ^\dag \left| {n'} \right\rangle f\left( {E_n ,E_{n'} ,t,t'} \right)}
[/tex]

where f is some function (the exact form of the Green's function is not that important). So this is the expression for the Green's function in some γ-basis written in terms of the Hamiltonians basis states (i.e., the Hamiltonian representation).

My question is: I cannot see what we mean when we distinguish between the basis and the representation of an operator (or state). I think the basis refers to the quantum numbers and the representation refers to the basis states (i.e., the functional form of the expression). But if this is correct, then any arbitrary state, say [itex]{\left| \varepsilon \right\rangle }[/itex], is written in ε-basis and the x-representation (e.g.) is given by [itex]{\left\langle x \right.\left| \varepsilon \right\rangle }[/itex]?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems you are getting some terminology confused. A ket, is a geometrical object, and does not necessarily have a "basis".

A "basis" is a set of (usually orthnonormal) complete "axes", if you will, with which we can express the components of a ket.

So, the ket |psi> isn't in some "psi-basis", it's just a geometrical object that holds all the information that we could hope to obtain about the system. If we want to express |psi> in the x-basis, we take the inner product <x|psi>. x, here is the basis, and <x|psi> is the x-representation of the ket |psi>. We could equally well take <p|psi>, where now p is the basis, and <p|psi> is the p-representation of the ket |psi>.

Think in terms of a vector (in some kind of Hilbert space). The vector itself is a just an object that is independent of any kind of coordinate axes. We can represent the coordinates of that vector in any set of axes that we choose.

Thanks. I see, so in the case with the Green's function in my original post, then

[tex]

G(\gamma, t, t') = - i\left\langle {c_\gamma \left( t \right),c_\gamma ^ \dagger\left( {t'} \right)} \right\rangle

[/tex]

is written in γ-representation. But then I (or rather, the book) go on and write the γ-representation in terms of different eigenstates, specifically the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian. Can one talk about writing a state in some representation, but expressing it in terms of other basis functions?Niles.

Last edited:
You can go from one basis to another by means of the identity operator:

[tex]I=\sum_n |\alpha_n><\alpha_n|[/tex]

This means that you are now expressing whatever ket you had before, in terms of the alpha basis.

Oh...I see where this can get confusing haha. So the <x|psi> is the x-representation of the ket |psi>. But you can express |psi> in different bases, e.g. |psi>=a|a>+b|b>. And then <x|psi>=a<x|a>+b<x|b> is still the x-representation of |psi>.

Perhaps it was wrong of me to call x, and p a basis then. Perhaps it's better to call |x> and |p> the basis.

X and P are a little bit special, because we all the inner products <x|psi> and <p|psi> "representations". Whereas, for other bases, like |phi>, we just call <phi|psi> the amplitude. We could also call <x|psi> and <p|psi> the amplitudes though.

Ahh, I see. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of studying propagators and Green's functions in quantum mechanics?

The study of propagators and Green's functions in quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the time evolution of quantum systems and calculating probabilities for different outcomes. These mathematical tools allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles in a quantum system.

2. How are propagators and Green's functions related?

Propagators and Green's functions are closely related as they both describe the time evolution of quantum systems. The main difference is that propagators are used to calculate transition amplitudes between two states at different times, while Green's functions are used to calculate the response of a system to an external perturbation.

3. What is the difference between the Feynman and Wightman propagators?

The Feynman propagator takes into account both forward and backward in time paths, while the Wightman propagator only considers forward in time paths. This difference can lead to different results in certain cases, such as when dealing with particles with spin.

4. Can propagators and Green's functions be used to solve any quantum mechanical problem?

No, propagators and Green's functions are powerful tools, but they cannot be used to solve all quantum mechanical problems. They are most useful for calculating transition amplitudes and response functions, but other mathematical techniques may be needed for more complex problems.

5. Are there practical applications of propagators and Green's functions?

Yes, propagators and Green's functions have many practical applications in fields such as quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. They are used to calculate cross-sections in particle collisions, predict the behavior of materials under different conditions, and study the interactions between particles and their environment.