1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of a Quotient Ring

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1

BVM

In my Abstract Algebra course, it was said that if
    [tex] E := \frac{\mathbb{Z}_{3}[X]}{(X^2 + X + 2)}.
    [/tex]
    The basis of E over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{3}[/itex] is equal to [itex][1,\bar{X}][/itex].
    But this, honestly, doesn't really make sense to me. Why should [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] be in the basis without it containing any other [itex]\bar{X}^n[/itex]? How did they arrive at that exact basis?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Can you write [itex]\overline{X}^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] and 1??

4. Jan 8, 2012 #3

BVM

Thank you for replying.

I've solved the problem. Whereas I previously thought that I couldn't write any [itex]\bar{X}^n[/itex] in terms of 1 and [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] I've since realised that for instance: [itex]\bar{X}^2 = -\bar{X}-\bar{2} = 2\bar{X}+\bar{1}[/itex].

My initial mistake as to think that in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] we can't define the negativity resulting in subtracting that polynomal, but obviously you can just add any 3n to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook