What is the Basis of a Quotient Ring?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basis of a quotient ring E over \mathbb{Z}_{3}. It is stated that the basis is equal to [1, \bar{X}], but the reason for \bar{X} being in the basis is unclear. The conversation also includes a question about writing \bar{X}^2 in terms of \bar{X} and 1. The problem is eventually solved by realizing that \bar{X}^2 can be expressed as 2\bar{X}+\bar{1} in \mathbb{Z}_3.
BVM
In my Abstract Algebra course, it was said that if
[tex] E := \frac{\mathbb{Z}_{3}[X]}{(X^2 + X + 2)}.
[/tex]
The basis of E over [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{3}[/itex] is equal to [itex][1,\bar{X}][/itex].
But this, honestly, doesn't really make sense to me. Why should [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] be in the basis without it containing any other [itex]\bar{X}^n[/itex]? How did they arrive at that exact basis?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write [itex]\overline{X}^2[/itex] in terms of [itex]\overline{X}[/itex] and 1??

Thank you for replying.

I've solved the problem. Whereas I previously thought that I couldn't write any [itex]\bar{X}^n[/itex] in terms of 1 and [itex]\bar{X}[/itex] I've since realized that for instance: [itex]\bar{X}^2 = -\bar{X}-\bar{2} = 2\bar{X}+\bar{1}[/itex].

My initial mistake as to think that in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/itex] we can't define the negativity resulting in subtracting that polynomal, but obviously you can just add any 3n to it.

1. What is the definition of a quotient ring?

A quotient ring is a mathematical structure that is formed by taking a ring and "quotienting out" a subset of its elements, essentially creating a smaller ring from a larger one.

2. How is a quotient ring different from a regular ring?

A quotient ring has a different set of elements and operations compared to a regular ring. In a quotient ring, certain elements are considered to be equivalent or "identical" and are merged together, resulting in a smaller set of elements and different rules for addition and multiplication.

3. What is the purpose of a quotient ring in abstract algebra?

A quotient ring allows for a better understanding and analysis of the underlying structure of a ring. It also helps in simplifying calculations and proofs by reducing the number of elements and operations involved.

4. How is a quotient ring related to the concept of a coset?

A quotient ring can be thought of as a collection of cosets, where each coset represents a set of equivalent elements in the original ring. In fact, the elements of a quotient ring are often represented as cosets.

5. Can any ring be used to form a quotient ring?

Yes, any ring can be used to form a quotient ring as long as a subset of its elements can be identified as equivalent. This means that even complex or abstract rings can be used to create quotient rings, as long as the necessary properties and operations are defined.