1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of a vector space

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the following 2 x 2 matrices form a basis of the vector space M2x2(R) of all (2x2)-matrices over R:

A1=
    1 0
    0 0

A2=
    2 2
    0 0

A3=
    3 2
    1 0

A4=
    4 3
    2 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So for them to be bases, they must be a linearly independant set that spans the vector space. How can i go about showing this for each matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question asked if those vectors form a basis. The question didn't ask if each individual vector was a basis (such a question wouldn't even make sense).

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    Do i need to show that each matrix is invertible?

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you need to start with the definitions, to make sure you understand just what the question is asking.

6. Apr 13, 2008 #5
    Oh so a1...a4 must all be linealry independant?

7. Apr 13, 2008 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is what you need to show.

8. Apr 13, 2008 #7
    Thanks, library closes now and no internet at new flat :cry:

9. Apr 13, 2008 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to solve c1*A1+c2*A2+c3*A3+c4*A4=0. It's pretty easy. What are the solutions for c1...c4? What does that say about linear independence?

10. Apr 13, 2008 #9
    Hi, If I have a question i post it here and you will respond (if you are on line)?

11. Apr 13, 2008 #10
    Hi DIck can you help me with this problem..."find the determinant of the linear transformation T(M)=[1,2,2,3]M+M[1,2,2,3] from the space V of symmetric 2x2 matrices to V

12. Apr 13, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the future, always post a new thread for a new problem, ok? Otherwise this will get buried and not enough people will see it. The answer to your question is not obvious to me, maybe somebody else knows.

13. Apr 13, 2008 #12
    hi dick thank you for responding. i posted a new thread. if i have to log off how will i be able to find it again? a response will be in my email box? i don't know how this forum works are there instructions somewhere?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?