1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of Kernel (matrices)

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V = M2(R) be the vector space over R of 2×2 real matrices. We consider the mapping
    F : V −> V defined for all matrix M belonging to V , by F(M) = AM +MA^T where A^T denotes the transpose matrix of the matrix A given below

A =

1 2
    −1 0

Question is: Determine a basis of Ker(F)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I showed that F is a linear operator, and preserves scalar addition and multiplication.
    However I am lost as to how I can solve the equation:
    AM +MA^T = 0

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    AM + MA^T = 0, so AM = -MA^T. You know what A is and M is a 2x2 matrix, so pick some entres a, b, c, d for M and solve for them.

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    What is zero in [itex]M_2(\mathbb{R})[/itex]? Just apply the definition of kernel using [itex]M = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
    m_{11} & m_{12}\\m_{21} & m_{22}\\\end{array} \right)[/itex] and you will find the basis.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  5. Mar 6, 2008 #4
    I get dimension of Ker = 4,

What I did is write out the matrix and multiply it out (since we know A and M I took
    as a,b,c,d). After multiplying and adding, I get a system of 4 equations, (a,b,c)
    and solve them via Gauss to find how many are independent.

Is this ok?

6. Mar 6, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You solve the matrix equation by doing the work to write it out as separate equations for the components.
    Let
    [tex]M= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    Then
    [tex]F(M)= AM+ MA^T= \left(\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2 \\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ c & d\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -1 \\ 2 & 0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+2c & b+2d \\ -a & -b+d\end{array}\right)+ \left(\begin{array}{cc}a+ 2b & -a \\ c+2d & -c\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]= \left(\begin{array}{cc}2a+2b+2c & -a+b+2d \\ -a+ c+ 2d & -b- c+ d\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    For M be "in the kernel", that must be the 0 vector. Solve 2a+ 2b+ 2c= 0, -a+ b+ 2d= 0, -a+ c+ 2d= 0, and -b- c+ d= 0. If those equations are all independent, of course, the only solution will be a= b= c= d= 0, the 0 matrix. If not, then the kernel may have dimension 1, 2, 3, or 4. (Well, it's pretty obvious the dimension is not 4.)

7. Mar 6, 2008 #6
    EDIT: Oh wait found a mistake in my math

8. Mar 6, 2008 #7
    Yes did exactly that, by the way last equation should be -b-c

So after this I solve the matrix of coefficients to see how many independent columns
    I have:

2 2 2 0
    -1 1 0 2
    -1 0 1 2
    0 -1 -1 0

and simplified matrix is:

1 1 1 0
    0 1 2 2
    0 0 1 2
    0 0 0 4

I get 4 independent columns once I solve via Gauss. So Ker F = {0}.. so is this
    dim 0?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?