Basis of module and Free module

In summary: You'll find that free modules over a ring are exactly the same as vector spaces over a field. In summary, a basis is a subset of a module that generates the entire module and is linearly independent. A free module is a module that has a basis and can be generated by a linearly independent subset. A free module does not require unity, and it can never be a basis. The notations {0}, {}, and (0) all have different meanings in reference to modules.
gianeshwar
We define basis as:
Let M be a module over a ring R with unity and let S be a subset of M. Then S is called a basis of M if
1. M is generated by S 2. S is linearly independent set.

Also we define free module as
An R module M is called a free module if there exists a subset S of M s.t.S generates M and S is linearly independent set.
NOW my QUESTIONS are :
1.Does a free module require unity?
2.Can a free module be basis?
3.Please tell me also the difference between the notations {0},{},(0) in reference to modules.

* I am still a learner in this area of mathematics.

Physics news on Phys.org
gianeshwar said:
We define basis as:
Let M be a module over a ring R with unity and let S be a subset of M. Then S is called a basis of M if
1. M is generated by S 2. S is linearly independent set.

Also we define free module as
An R module M is called a free module if there exists a subset S of M s.t.S generates M and S is linearly independent set.
NOW my QUESTIONS are :
1.Does a free module require unity?

You mean whether the underlying ring ##R## needs to have a unit? No, that's not necessary to define free module.

2.Can a free module be basis?

No, a free module always has a basis, but it never is a basis. A free module is the same as a vector space over a field. A vector space always has a basis, but I'm sure you know a vector space never is a basis.

3.Please tell me also the difference between the notations {0},{},(0) in reference to modules.

The set ##\{0\}## is the set with as only element ##0##.
The set ##\{\}## is the empty set ##\emptyset##.
The set ##(0)## is the ideal generated by the element ##0##. It coincides with ##\{0\}##.

Search about "free objects" in a category (in category theory).

1. What is the difference between a basis of a module and a free module?

A basis of a module is a set of linearly independent elements that can be used to generate all other elements in the module through linear combinations. A free module, on the other hand, is a module that has a basis and can be freely generated by its basis elements without any restrictions or relations between them.

2. How do you determine if a set of elements is a basis of a module?

To determine if a set of elements is a basis of a module, you need to check if the elements are linearly independent and if they can generate all other elements in the module through linear combinations. If both of these conditions are met, then the set of elements is a basis of the module.

3. Can a module have multiple bases?

Yes, a module can have multiple bases. This is because a basis is not unique and there can be different sets of elements that satisfy the conditions of being linearly independent and generating all other elements in the module.

4. What is the significance of a basis in linear algebra?

A basis is significant in linear algebra because it allows us to express other elements in the module in terms of a linear combination of basis elements. This helps in simplifying computations and solving problems related to linear transformations.

5. Can a free module be finite or infinite?

A free module can be both finite and infinite. A finite free module has a finite basis while an infinite free module has an infinite basis. The dimension of a finite free module is the number of elements in its basis, while the dimension of an infinite free module is the cardinality of its basis.