Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of Set of functions

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    Hello,

I am just doing my homework and I believe that there is a fault in the problem set.

Consider the set of functions defined by
    V= f : R → R such that f(x) = a + bx for some a, b ∈ R

It is given that V is a vector space under the standard operations of pointwise
    addition and scalar multiplication; that is, under the operations

(f + g)(x) := f(x) + g(x)
    (λf)(x) := λf(x).

Consider the set S = {f1, f2} ⊆ V consisting of the vectors
    f1 : R → R defined by f1(x) = 1
    and
    f2 : R → R defined by f2(x) = x.

(a) Show that the set S is a basis of V ; that is, show that S is a linearly independent
    set which spans V . Also state the dimension of V .
    (b) State the coordinates (f1)S and (f2)S of the vectors f1 and f2 with respect to
    the basis S

, what is wrong is that if a set of linear functions is independat that would mean that Af1+Bf2=0 only has teh trivial solution A=B=0 as a solution but this is obviously not right as f1(x)=1 and f2(x)=x so A+Bx=0, has other solutions to it than the trivial, thus its not indpendant and S not a basis of V.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Give an example of a non-trivial solution.

You'd have to find an A and B such that g(x) = A + Bx is the constant function g(x) = 0 because the constant function g(x) = 0 is the zero vector in this space.

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    what do you mean, I am not english so do not really understand, but as x is elemnt of R it can take any of such values, and so can the scalars, as g(x)=0, A+Bx=g(x) for example when A=2, B=2 and x=-1 .... and many more

5. Jan 6, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Suppose A = 2, B = 2. The function h(x) = 2 + 2x is not the function g(x) = 0. It is true that h(-1) = 0 , but h(x) is not zero for all values of x. The function h(x) is not the zero function.

6. Jan 6, 2015 #5
    yes but if I put a different x, there will always be different values of A and B such that that equation would equal 0, therefore.

could you maybe ellaborate your logic? Thanks

Do you mean that in order for the set to be not independant I would need to find a function h(x) with specific, unchanable non zero values for A and B such that it is 0 for all x?

7. Jan 6, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes.

8. Jan 6, 2015 #7
    thanks, but lets say we have a set of vectors (v1,v2,v3...vn)

do you agree that if this set is dependant Av1+Bv2+Cv3.......=0, then A could have different values that lead to the solution, obviously each time A changes the other sclars change to?

9. Jan 6, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes. I agree.

For example, (kA)v1 + (kB)v2 + (kC)v3 .... = 0, for any scalar k.

To use an example from this problem, let
    p(x) = x + 1
    q(x) = 2x + 2
    r(x) = 3x + 3

The set of vectors {p(x),q(x),r(x)} is not linearly indepdent.

A(p(x)) + B(q(x)) + C(r(x)) = 0 (for all x) has solutions such as A = 5, B = -1, C = -1 and A = -2, B = 1, C = 0.

10. Jan 6, 2015 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To say that ##Af_1+Bf_2=0## is to say that ##(Af_1+Bf_2)(x)=0## for all real numbers ##x##. (Note that the 0 in the first equation is a function, and the 0 in the second equation is a number). So if ##Af_1+Bf_2=0##, then for all real numbers ##x##, we have
    $$0=(Af_1+Bf_2)(x)=Af_1(x)+Bf_2(x)=A+Bx.$$ Do you understand why this implies that ##A=B=0##? If you don't, then you should think about it until you do. (Hint: Think about what "for all" means).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  11. Jan 6, 2015 #10

Yes I understood, I did not really know that it must be valid for all x, which was a dumb mistake as I should have realised that by looking at this equation: (Af1+Bf2)(x)=0

is it then correct to say then that the coordinate (f1)s with respect to the basis S is the follwoing column matrix : (row 1,column1 :1-Bx )
    ( row 2 column 1;B )

and the coordinate (f2)s with respect to the basis S is the follwoing column matrix: ( row 1 coloum 1:0 )
    (row 2 coloumn 1: 1)

12. Jan 6, 2015 #11

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The matrix of components of a vector ##v## with respect to the ordered basis ##(f_1,f_2)## is the matrix ##\begin{pmatrix}a\\ b\end{pmatrix}## such that ##v=af_1+bf_2##. When ##v=f_1##, this is ##\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0\end{pmatrix}##, not ##\begin{pmatrix}1-Bx\\ B\end{pmatrix}##. (What is ##B## and ##x## here?)

13. Jan 6, 2015 #12
    well because f1(x)= 1 , f2(x)=x, so v=af1 + bf2 , where v=f1 1= a+bx, so for every x and every value of A,B the coordinates are (a= 1-bx , b=b)

14. Jan 6, 2015 #13

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, this is true for all x, because ##f_1## is the constant function that takes everything to 1 (the output is always 1), and ##f_2## is the identity function (the output is always equal to the input).

You seem to be saying that if ##f_1=af_1+bf_2##, then ##1=a+bx##. But why would it be, and what is this ##x## supposed to be?

I don't follow the argument at all now. What is A and B, and how is there an x involved in the coordinates?

15. Jan 6, 2015 #14

I figured it out.

I have one last questions if I may ask:

Lets say you have 2 other vectors which are part of set T, these 2 vectors g1 and g2 can be expressed in terns of the vectors in a set of a basis called S. By considering the 2 × 2 matrix A = ((g1)S(g2)S) whose columns are the coordinates of g1 and g2 with respect to the basis S how can you deduce that the set T is also a basis of V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook