1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis of vector

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    Let B be the basis of R^2 consisting of the vectors

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}-1 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Let R be the basis consisting of

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}2 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

find a matrix P such that [tex] [x]_R= P [x]_B[/tex] for all x in R^2[/tex]

the answer should be a 2x2 matrix but I dont see how that is possible since [x] is only a column vector. I'm not sure how to solve this problem. any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2
    A nx2 times a 2x1 gives a nx1, so really P has to be a 2x2 matrix.

Start by finding the components of each basis in terms of the other. A motivating question may be something like what is [tex]P(1, 0)^T[/tex]? Fool around with this idea to find the components of P.
  4. Apr 12, 2006 #3
    I'm not sure what is meant by "Start by finding the components of each basis in terms of the other."

I understand that "A nx2 times a 2x1 gives a nx1, so really P has to be a 2x2 matrix." but what about the fact that [x] can be ANY numbers. [x] is not even dependent of the basis so I dont know why they would even give the basis.

So if [x] can be anything, then so can P, so how do I find a specific 2x2 matrix?
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4
    your matrix could be regarded as a 'changing basis matix'.
    in other words you need to let one of them to be a linear combination of the other basis:
    and your P would be the matrix:
    a1 a2
    b1 b2
  6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    I tried that already, that does not give the correct answer. Also, I believe you mean:

this gives you

which is not the correct answer
  7. Apr 12, 2006 #6
    your textbook has different answers than these?
  8. Apr 12, 2006 #7
    yes, i entered them for answers on the web and it tells me that they are wrong
  9. Apr 12, 2006 #8
    ok, i did the exact same thing for the other matrix and got the right answer, thanks for the help!
  10. Apr 12, 2006 #9
    which other matrix are you reffering to?
  11. Apr 12, 2006 #10
  12. Apr 13, 2006 #11
    but this gives you the solution of this:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?