Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Basis of vector

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    Let B be the basis of R^2 consisting of the vectors

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}3 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}-1 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Let R be the basis consisting of

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}2 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 2 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

find a matrix P such that [tex] [x]_R= P [x]_B[/tex] for all x in R^2[/tex]

the answer should be a 2x2 matrix but I dont see how that is possible since [x] is only a column vector. I'm not sure how to solve this problem. any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2
    A nx2 times a 2x1 gives a nx1, so really P has to be a 2x2 matrix.

Start by finding the components of each basis in terms of the other. A motivating question may be something like what is [tex]P(1, 0)^T[/tex]? Fool around with this idea to find the components of P.

4. Apr 12, 2006 #3
    I'm not sure what is meant by "Start by finding the components of each basis in terms of the other."

I understand that "A nx2 times a 2x1 gives a nx1, so really P has to be a 2x2 matrix." but what about the fact that [x] can be ANY numbers. [x] is not even dependent of the basis so I dont know why they would even give the basis.

So if [x] can be anything, then so can P, so how do I find a specific 2x2 matrix?

5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

your matrix could be regarded as a 'changing basis matix'.
    in other words you need to let one of them to be a linear combination of the other basis:
    2=a1*3+a2*1
    3=b1*3+b2*1
    1=a1*(-1)+a2*3
    2=b1*(-1)+a2*3
    and your P would be the matrix:
    a1 a2
    b1 b2

6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    I tried that already, that does not give the correct answer. Also, I believe you mean:
    2=b1*(-1)+b2*3

this gives you
    a1=.5
    a2=.5
    a3=.7
    a4=.9

which is not the correct answer

7. Apr 12, 2006 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

your textbook has different answers than these?

8. Apr 12, 2006 #7
    yes, i entered them for answers on the web and it tells me that they are wrong

9. Apr 12, 2006 #8
    ok, i did the exact same thing for the other matrix and got the right answer, thanks for the help!

10. Apr 12, 2006 #9

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

which other matrix are you reffering to?

11. Apr 12, 2006 #10
    3=a1*2+a2*3
    -1=a1*(1)+a2*2
    1=b1*(2)+a2*3
    3=b1*1+b2*2

12. Apr 13, 2006 #11

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

but this gives you the solution of this:
    [x]_B=P[x]_R

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook