Basis Proof

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
I attached the problem and its solution.

I was looking at this solution and got a little confused. Why did they say that "Assume that S = {v1, v2, · · · , vn} is a basis for V and c is a nonzero scalar. Let S1 = {cv1, cv2, · · · , cvn}. Since S is a basis for V , V has dimension n. Since S1 has n vectors, it suffices (by Part 1 of Theorem 4.12) to prove that S is independent."

That seems redundant. The problem statement already stated that S is a basis, which means that the vectors in S are linearly independent.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 364

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I attached the problem and its solution.

I was looking at this solution and got a little confused. Why did they say that "Assume that S = {v1, v2, · · · , vn} is a basis for V and c is a nonzero scalar. Let S1 = {cv1, cv2, · · · , cvn}. Since S is a basis for V , V has dimension n. Since S1 has n vectors, it suffices (by Part 1 of Theorem 4.12) to prove that S is independent."

That seems redundant. The problem statement already stated that S is a basis, which means that the vectors in S are linearly independent.

It's clearly a minor typo. They meant to say, "Since S1 has n vectors, it suffices (by Part 1 of Theorem 4.12) to prove that S1 is independent."

It's clearly a minor typo. They meant to say, "Since S1 has n vectors, it suffices (by Part 1 of Theorem 4.12) to prove that S1 is independent."

Oh okay. So by saying that, wouldn't that have proved S1 is a basis? The next part (writing out all the linear combinations) just proved that it's linearly independent again. Do you need to do that?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Oh okay. So by saying that, wouldn't that have proved S1 is a basis? The next part (writing out all the linear combinations) just proved that it's linearly independent again. Do you need to do that?

Sure you do. That's the proof part!