Solving a Homogeneous Linear Equation for x>0

In summary, the conversation is about finding a basis of solutions for a second-order homogeneous linear equation with positive x and the use of Cauchy-Euler equations. The participants discuss the use of a solution of the form y=xr for some real number r and question the validity of the general solution for both double roots and complex conjugate roots. One participant also expresses confusion on how the solution y=xr was thought of.
asdf1
Can someone give suggestions for this question?

Find a basis of solutions for the following second-order homogeneous linear equation for positive x:
x^2y``-xy`+y=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what a Cauchy-Euler equation is?

Also called an "equi-potential" equation since the "power" of x is always "equal" to the order of the derivative.

What happens if you try a solution of the form y= xr for some real number r?

i don't know what a Cauchy-Euler equation is, but how'd you think of
HallsofIvy said:
What happens if you try a solution of the form y= xr for some real number r?

ok, I've taken a look at the Cauchy-Euler equation in the AEM textbook, but there's two things that i think are strange:

1) for the case of double roots, the proof to the general solution only considers
x>O... why?
2) for the case of complex conjugate roots, there's only a general solution for all
positive x... why?

btw, I've been thinking all day of y=x^r... I'm still stumped over how'd you think of that?

What is a homogeneous linear equation?

A homogeneous linear equation is an algebraic equation in which all terms have the same degree and the constant term is equal to zero. In other words, it is an equation in which the variables are all on one side and the constants are on the other.

How do you solve a homogeneous linear equation for x>0?

To solve a homogeneous linear equation for x>0, you can use the method of substitution or the method of elimination. In the method of substitution, you substitute one variable with a known value and solve for the other variable. In the method of elimination, you eliminate one variable by adding or subtracting equations, and then solve for the remaining variable.

Can a homogeneous linear equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a homogeneous linear equation can have multiple solutions, depending on the number of variables and the number of equations. For example, if there are two variables and two equations, there can be either one solution or an infinite number of solutions.

What is the importance of solving a homogeneous linear equation for x>0?

Solving a homogeneous linear equation for x>0 is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it allows us to find solutions to systems of equations and model real-world situations. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used in many advanced mathematical concepts.

Are there any special cases when solving a homogeneous linear equation for x>0?

Yes, there are special cases when solving a homogeneous linear equation for x>0. One such case is when all the variables in the equation are equal to zero, in which case the equation has an infinite number of solutions. Another case is when the equation has no solutions, which can happen when there is a contradiction or inconsistency in the equations.