1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Basis R 2

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    Find the basis of the vector space (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T

When I solve the matrix, I obtain x1=0 and x2=0

x=(0,0)^T.

Can a basis be two 0 column vectors? Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2
    No, a basis cannot be two 0 column vectors.
    What matrix are you talking about? Are you trying to solve (1,2)x1 + (-1,1)x2 = 0? If so, what does this tell you?
    And what does the vector space look like? Is it the span of those two vectors? Is this span minimal?

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    All the question says is to determine the basis. I am then given two column vectors (1,2) and (-1,1).

I solved the augmented matrix and obtained that both x1=0 and x2=0.

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4
    And what does x1 = 0 = x2 tell you? You are trying to determine if the two vectors are linearly independent, so you are solving the system (1,2)x2 + (-1,1)x2 = 0. Thus, a solution of (x1, x2) = (0, 0) tells you something about the vectors (1,2) and (-1,1).

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5
    I know they are independent from the det not equaling 0. I am trying to find the basis of the vector space.

7. Feb 27, 2010 #6
    What does the vector space look like? You have only identified two vectors. Is it the set of linear combinations of these two vectors?

8. Feb 27, 2010 #7
    I have giving you all the information. What are you asking for? It is in R^2 but that is also mentioned in the title.

9. Feb 27, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The phrase "the basis of the vector space (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T" doesn't make sense. R2 is the vector space; (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T are two vectors, not a vector space. It's not really clear what you're trying to do.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook