Solving for x in Vector Space (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T

In summary, the conversation is discussing the basis of a vector space, specifically the vector space in R^2 with two column vectors (1,2)^T and (-1,1)^T. The individual is trying to determine if these two vectors are linearly independent and if they can be used as a basis for the vector space. After solving an augmented matrix, they conclude that the vectors are independent and therefore cannot be used as a basis. The individual is also questioning the definition and structure of the vector space.
Dustinsfl
Find the basis of the vector space (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T

When I solve the matrix, I obtain x1=0 and x2=0

x=(0,0)^T.

Can a basis be two 0 column vectors? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, a basis cannot be two 0 column vectors.
What matrix are you talking about? Are you trying to solve (1,2)x1 + (-1,1)x2 = 0? If so, what does this tell you?
And what does the vector space look like? Is it the span of those two vectors? Is this span minimal?

All the question says is to determine the basis. I am then given two column vectors (1,2) and (-1,1).

I solved the augmented matrix and obtained that both x1=0 and x2=0.

And what does x1 = 0 = x2 tell you? You are trying to determine if the two vectors are linearly independent, so you are solving the system (1,2)x2 + (-1,1)x2 = 0. Thus, a solution of (x1, x2) = (0, 0) tells you something about the vectors (1,2) and (-1,1).

I know they are independent from the det not equaling 0. I am trying to find the basis of the vector space.

What does the vector space look like? You have only identified two vectors. Is it the set of linear combinations of these two vectors?

I have giving you all the information. What are you asking for? It is in R^2 but that is also mentioned in the title.

The phrase "the basis of the vector space (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T" doesn't make sense. R2 is the vector space; (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T are two vectors, not a vector space. It's not really clear what you're trying to do.

1. How do you solve for x in a vector space?

To solve for x in a vector space, you would typically use linear algebra techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion.

2. What is the meaning of (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T in this context?

In this context, (1,2)^T; (-1,1)^T represents two vectors in a two-dimensional vector space, where the first vector has components (1,2) and the second vector has components (-1,1).

3. What is the significance of solving for x in vector space?

Solving for x in vector space allows us to find the values of x that make the given vectors linearly independent or dependent. This can help in understanding the properties and relationships of the vectors.

4. Can you explain the process of solving for x in vector space with an example?

Yes, for example, if we have the equation x(1,2)^T + y(-1,1)^T = (0,0)^T, we can use Gaussian elimination to row-reduce the augmented matrix [1 -1 0; 2 1 0] to [1 0 0; 0 1 0]. This tells us that x = 0 and y = 0, meaning that the two vectors are linearly independent.

5. Are there any other methods for solving for x in vector space?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the inverse of a matrix or using vector operations like dot product and cross product. These methods may be more efficient in certain cases, but the underlying concepts are the same.