1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis Vector Rotation

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I have a 3d space with metric [tex] ds^2= -r^a dt^2 + r^bdr^2 +r^2 dy^2[/tex] and I need to construct an orthonormal frame.

The first of these three basis vectors is fixed, let's say as [tex]e_0=A \partial_t + B \partial_r + C \partial_y[/tex]

To find the other two I set [tex]v_1=\partial_t, v_2=\partial_r[/tex] and then apply the Gram-Schmidt procedure. Ultimately I end up with

[tex]e_1=D \partial_t + E \partial_r + F \partial_y[/tex] and [tex]e_2=G \partial_t + H \partial_r + J \partial_y[/tex]

Since I have exact (albeit rather lengthy and complicated expressions) for [tex]A,B,C[/tex] in terms of variables such as energy and momenta, the Gram-Schmidt procedure does give me expressions for all the other constants (although they are in terms of energy and momenta as well - importantly, they are not numbers!).

Now, I am trying to compare my result to the result in the literature where they explicitly construct such a basis with [tex]e_1[/tex] only pointing in the t and r directions. Since [tex]e_0[/tex] is fixed and I can't alter it at all, this is really a rotation of the other two orthonormal basis vectors i.e. I want to rotate [tex]e_1,e_2[/tex] such that [tex]e_1[/tex] no longer has a y component.

I tried to do this by multiplying as follows:
    [tex]\begin{pvector} e'_1 \\ e'_2 \end{pvector} = \begin{array} \cos{\theta} & \sin{\theta} \\ -\sin{\theta} & \cos{\theta} \end{array} \begin{pvector} e_1 \\ e_2 \end{pvector}[/tex]

(Does this even hold when we are no longer in Euclidean space?)

Imposing [tex](e'_1)^y=0[/tex] (I use this notation to denote the y component), I can read off the following equation

[tex]0=\cos{\theta} (e_1)^y + \sin{\theta} (e_2)^y \Rightarrow \tan{\theta}=-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y}[/tex]

However, this gives me an expression for [tex]\theta=\tan^{-1}{(-\frac{(e_1)^y}{(e_2)^y})}[/tex]. This will be some ratio of the energy and momenta and not an actual number. So how can I use it to determine [tex]\sin{\theta}[/tex] and [tex]\cos{\theta}[/tex] which I will need in order to work out how the ohther components of [tex]e'_1,e'_2[/tex] look like?

Thanks very much for your help..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One reason to introduce frame fields is that the Euclidean rotations act naturally on them.

There are elementary trig identities like

$$ 1 + \tan^2\theta = \frac{1}{\cos^2\theta}$$

that you can use to express ##\sin## and ##\cos## in terms of ##\tan##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted