Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis vectors in SR and Lorentz scalar fields

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1

dyn

Hi. In GR , covariant differentiation is used because the basis vectors are not constant. But , what about in SR ? If the basis vectors are not Cartesian then they are not constant. Does covariant differentiation exist in SR ? And are for example spherical polar basis vectors which are not constant treated differently to Cartesian basis vectors in SR ?

Another question I have is regarding Lorentz Scalar Fields. I have read that a wave can be treated as a Lorentz scalar field which means that its amplitude in one frame is the same as measured in any other inertial frame but why is the wave amplitude not Lorentz contracted ?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is needed with non-Cartesian coordinate systems. Some texts use that as a gentle way to introduce the Christoffel symbols. IIRC, Schutz does that in 'A first course in General Relativity', with a chapter introducing Christoffel symbols et al, mostly focusing on polar coordinate systems, before he introduces curvature in the following chapter.

4. Oct 2, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to clarify further, this is nothing particular for Minkowski space - it is the case for any set of non-affine coordinates on a regular euclidean space as well.

5. Oct 3, 2015 #4

dyn

Thanks. So if I was working with spherical polars in Minkowski space I would use covariant differentiation as the basis vectors are not constant.
    Any thoughts on my problem with wave amplitudes and Lorentz scalar fields ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook