Basketball Problem: Initial Speed to Make Shot

• Thread starter tnhoots
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basketball
In summary, a basketball player who is 2.00 m tall is standing on the floor L = 8.0 m from the basket, as in Figure P4.54. If he shoots the ball at a 30.0° angle with the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw so that it goes through the hoop without striking the backboard? The basket height is 3.05 m. The Attempt at a Solution suggests that the player should throw the ball at an initial speed of 9.499 m/s.
tnhoots

Homework Statement

A basketball player who is 2.00 m tall is standing on the floor L = 8.0 m from the basket, as in Figure P4.54. If he shoots the ball at a 30.0° angle with the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw so that it goes through the hoop without striking the backboard? The basket height is 3.05 m.

Homework Equations

y=Yo+Voyt-(g/2)t squared
X=Xo+Voxt-(g/2)t squared

The Attempt at a Solution

Vxo=cos(30)
Vyo=sin(30)
Vo (cos 30)=8

3.05=2.00+Vo-4.9t squared
3.05=10-4.9t squared
t=square root (6.95/4.9)
=1.191

Vo=8/(.7071*1.191)
=9.499

However, this is wrong...any suggesions??

Physics news on Phys.org
first check your cos 30 value.

oops...the the cosign value of 30 is .8660254038. So I take that value and multiply it by the square root of 6.95/4.9. Which is 1.191. I divide 8 by that product. Correct? My answer comes out to be 7.7561749; however, that is appearantly wrong. What am I doing wrong?

your sin value gets bollixed as well and the Vot (first order term) disappears--2Vo becomes 10. There may be more issues but start with those. Careful algebra for starts.
John

I have 2 Vo becoming 10 in my equation. I have:
3.05=10-4.9t squared

think we'are cross threaded, maybe I'm missing something
but,

y=Yo+sin(30)Vo*t+1/2at^2 going to 3.05=10-4.9t squared has me confused

bc 3.05 was the height of the basket. I set the equation :Yo+sin(30)Vo*t+1/2at^2 equal to the height of the basket. I am pretty confused. I'm not sure what I'm doing at this point:uhh: I have my final equation looking like Vo=8/(cosign30 * 1.191). I found the 1.191 by taking the square root of 6.95/4.9...AHHH!

Lets try a fresh start.

first assuming a conventional x/y horizontal and vertical coordinate system:

your eqn for Y is correct, x is not. Since there is no acceleration in in this direction, its simply
x=cos(30)Vo*t. But we do know how far the ball has to travel 8m.
so 8/cos(30)=Vo*t Now can we use that info in the Y eqn to make life simpler? For sure and I think you were close, so patience, my friend. Beware tho i think there may still be one wrinkle ahead.

Last edited:

What is the "Basketball Problem: Initial Speed to Make Shot"?

The "Basketball Problem: Initial Speed to Make Shot" is a scientific problem that involves determining the minimum initial speed at which a basketball must be thrown in order to make a shot from a certain distance.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it can help coaches and players understand the physics behind making a basketball shot and improve their shooting skills.

What factors affect the initial speed needed to make a shot?

The factors that affect the initial speed needed to make a shot include the distance to the hoop, the mass of the basketball, the angle of release, and air resistance.

How is this problem typically solved?

This problem is typically solved using the principles of projectile motion and the equations of kinematics.

Can this problem be applied to other sports or activities?

Yes, the principles used in this problem can be applied to other sports or activities that involve throwing or shooting a ball, such as soccer, football, and even activities like archery or throwing darts.