Discover the Solution to a Challenging Basketball Physics Problem

In summary, the basketball player needs to throw the ball with an initial speed of vi so that it goes through the hoop without striking the backboard.
intriqet

Homework Statement

A basketball player who is 2.0 m tall is standing on the floor L = 13.0 m from the basket. If he shoots the ball at a 43.0deg angle with the horizontal, at what initial speed must he throw so that the ball goes through the hoop without striking the backboard? The basketball height is 3.05 m.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this problem. I feel like I hadn't been given enough information. Please post hints to get me started. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi intriqet! :wink:

Let the initial speed be vi, and the time taken be t, and use the standard constant acceleration equations, once for the x direction (with a = 0), and once for the y direction (with a = -g).

Eliminate t, and that should give you a quadratic equation for vi. :smile:

p4-52alt.gif

Attachments

• p4-52alt.gif
    p4-52alt.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 760
I'm not sure how to apply the constant acceleration kinematic formulas because I only have information for two of the variables for each direction.

For instance I have for the x (horizontal) direction:
Ax = 0
Vxi = xcos43

and for the y:
Ay = -9.81
Vyi = xsin43

If I had delta x or y this would be a ton easier but I can't compute delta x or delta y from the diagram.

intriqet said:
If I had delta x or y this would be a ton easier but I can't compute delta x or delta y from the diagram.

uhh? :confused:

from the diagram, ∆x = L = 13.0, and ∆y = 1.05.

Sorry I wasnt sure If I could use delta y = 1.05 because that isn't the max height of the parabola and delta x = 13 because the full length of the parabola isn't 13.

Ok so based on that information I derived that

Ax = 0
Vxi = xcos43
Vxf = xcos43
deltax = 13
tx = ty

Ay = -9.81
Vyi = xsin43
Vyf = sqrt(-20.601 + (xsin43)^2)
deltaY = 1.05
ty = tx

Is this correct so far?

Oh and thanks by the way for your help and input

Last edited:
intriqet said:
Sorry I wasnt sure If I could use delta y = 1.05 because that isn't the max height of the parabola and delta x = 13 because the full length of the parabola isn't 13.

Forget parabola!

(and anyway, the height and width of a parabola are infinite)

1. What is the physics behind shooting a basketball?

The physics behind shooting a basketball involves the projectile motion and the transfer of kinetic energy. When the player releases the ball, it follows a parabolic path due to the force of gravity. The player also applies a force to the ball, giving it kinetic energy, which determines its speed and distance traveled.

2. How does the angle of release affect a basketball shot?

The angle of release affects a basketball shot by influencing the trajectory of the ball. If the angle is too low, the ball will not have enough height to reach the basket. If the angle is too high, the ball will have a steep trajectory and may hit the backboard or rim. The optimal angle for a basketball shot is between 45-50 degrees.

3. What role does friction play in basketball?

Friction plays a crucial role in basketball by affecting the movement of the ball and the players on the court. Friction between the ball and the court surface can slow down the ball's speed and cause it to bounce at different angles. Friction between the players' shoes and the court surface also allows them to change direction and stop quickly.

4. How does air resistance impact a basketball's trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact a basketball's trajectory by slowing down the ball's movement. As the ball moves through the air, it creates a wake behind it, which experiences air resistance. This force opposes the ball's motion and can cause it to drop faster than expected, affecting its trajectory.

5. How does the height of the basketball rim affect the game?

The height of the basketball rim affects the game by changing the difficulty level of scoring. A higher rim requires players to jump higher and apply more force to the ball, making it more challenging to score. On the other hand, a lower rim allows for easier scoring but may result in fewer defensive challenges and a less exciting game.