1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bastardized M.S. students

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone...thanks for all your very-helpful comments so far. You are really helping a student who has a B.S. in math, is stuck in graduate engineering, is only now (2008) taking a graduate-level physics course (last physics course taken was in 2003) while in an engineering curriculum, and wants to start being a physicist one year from now...but has no idea HOW to accumulate research experience...or what the heck I should be doing right now.

Anyway, I'd like to know: I want to get my M.S. in physics as a sort of transitionary qualification to a PhD degree (can't get an expensive (time and moneywise) B.S., and don't want to jump into a PhD right away). However, I've noticed that M.S. students in a primarily-PhD oriented program kind of get bastardized, as the title of this thread says...as in the program just isn't designed to accommodate their needs for research, to be involved, etc.

I fear the same will happen in a Physics Master's program...except the University of Minnesota Duluth has an M.S.-only physics grad program (unheard of). Ordinarily, I would be skeptical, but my friend just got his M.S. from there, and, as he described it "The program got me to think like a physicist!" (He seemed satisfied). Are there any other schools like this??? I wish there was one closer to Florida (I am willing to travel, but my girlfriend feels badly that I would be away).

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted