1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bat and ball collison

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    A ball and bat, approaching one another each with the same speed of 1.7 m/s, collide. Find the speed of the ball after the collision. (Assume the mass of the bat is very much larger than the mass of the ball, a perfectly elastic collision, and no rotational motion).

so i am going to use of energy, and since it is an elatic collison, it will be kenitic energy

since the mass of the bat is much larger than that of the ball, i am going going to use

so, if the bat and ball are approching eachother at the same speed i am going to take the ball approching the bat to be negitive, so i have

the answer isn't 0....so this is where i am stuck
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Could you explain this assumption please?
  4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    i really don't know! i was just trying to go somewhere....can you help me?
  5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

Does this mean that the collision can be treated like a 'ball vs. wall' collision?
  6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
    i don't know....but i was also thinking that the bat would be taken as 0 and the velociyt of the ball could be 2(1.7)
  7. Feb 28, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

congrats, radou. Seems like everyone's turning gold around here! :approve: (I know your thinking; you just want more medals! :tongue2:)

(sorry for the OT comment Rasine)
  8. Feb 28, 2007 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, you are on the right track with this thinking. More precisely: In a frame in which the bat is at rest, the ball moves with speed 2x(1.7). In that frame, treating the bat as hugely massive, what's the rebound velocity of the ball? Then convert back to the original frame to find the ball's speed with respect to the ground.
  9. Feb 28, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

Just to add, if you assume m2 >> m1, (where m2 is the mass of the bat), you can easily verify your result by simply using conservation of momentum, unless I'm missing something here.

Bingo. :biggrin:
  10. Feb 28, 2007 #9
    so if i do that ussing conseravation of energy i will have

11. Feb 28, 2007 #10
    i am so confused
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?