Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bathroom reading

1. Apr 28, 2005 #1
    Whats in your bathroom Library?

Mine has the last 3 issues of National Geographic, several old copies of Hotrod mag., the Michigan state campground guide and several superhero comic books.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Playbo*Ahhem, cough cough* New Scientist! :biggrin:

4. Apr 28, 2005 #3
    I rarely read while in the bathroom. I do, however, proofread essays in the bathroom: Sitting naked on the toilet is a great way to clear your mind and proofread effectively.

5. Apr 28, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sing out loud: I Love A Parade

6. Apr 28, 2005 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Uncle John's Ass-Inspiring Bathroom Reader
    Current issue of Wired magazine
    The occasional unfinished crossword puzzle from our daily paper

We have found the bathroom is a great place to use our minds among other things.

7. Apr 28, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I need to update my library, I've already read all of these once. I have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Einstein", "A Taste of Ancient Rome", "Eleanor of Aquitane and the Four Kings", "The Essential Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side Gallery".

No better time to read than in the bathroom. :shy:

8. Apr 28, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

I still do not understand how anyone can read while they're taking a crap! Don't you just want to get out of the bathroom faster? :confused: :tongue:

9. Apr 28, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

I do most of my reading on-line, and though it's a wireless system, no--it's not going to happen. If I'm going to read a novel, that calls for a comfortable sofa or bed. I reserve certain reading material for waiting rooms. At my last Dr. appt. I read about the Hobbit people that have been discovered. For other appointments, for example, going for a hair appointment, I have designated this as "garbage" time. Last time I was reading GQ and I ended up reading an article about gay politicians--oh yeh, and about what men like in a woman. I think that is the hook on all those magazines every month, isn't it?! :bugeye:

10. Apr 28, 2005 #9

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second this, actually...I really don't get it.

11. Apr 28, 2005 #10

Evo

Hey, my dad would take the sunday paper into the bathroom and not come out for an hour. :tongue:

12. Apr 28, 2005 #11

Evo

Reading relaxes you and helps you make a less strained dump. :rolleyes: Perhaps you lead a stress free life.

13. Apr 28, 2005 #12

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Less strained and stress free..hmm...well let's see, there are the seven courses at university (thank god the semester's over), between that and the crappy college diet...I'd say...time to look into putting some literature in the washroom

:rofl:

14. Apr 28, 2005 #13

Evo

You'll thank me when you don't develop hemorrhoids. :tongue:

15. Apr 28, 2005 #14

SOS2008

Gold Member

Here is another Crackpot Theory. Reading in the bathroom is more prevalent for men then women because they eat terrible things. Second, reading in the bathroom is more prevalent for people of either gender in search of private, quite time. Either way, if they read too long it will cut off their circulation, causing them to rejoin society what ever the conditions may be. :rofl:

I was in a training class once for work and the instructor (known company-wide to be hilarious) was explaining that sometimes we need to slow down in order to do a better job. He used the analogy that no matter how bad you need to go, you manage to stop and pick up a magazine first.

16. Apr 28, 2005 #15

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best toilet book ever has to be Schott's Original Miscellany, by Ben Schott, Bloomsbury, ISBN 0-7475-6320-9.

Selected gems include discussion of cloud types, hazchem plates, egg sizes, conkers, palmistry, and cannon firing procedures.

17. Apr 28, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't have a bathroom library. Whatever I'm reading follows me wherever I go, so no need to have anything special cluttering up the bathroom. I also find it's a good place to sort through junk mail.

18. Apr 28, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Sounds like a beer commercial (more taste, less filling). :rofl:
    Wow--I don't know how to classify this.

I should've known it was just a matter of time before we'd get on a topic like this.

19. Apr 29, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Wasn't it Pogo Possum who said 'Sometimes ah sits and thinks... and sometimes ah just sits'?

20. Apr 29, 2005 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

:rofl: And maybe the junk mail comes in handy when there's no paper? :rofl:

21. Apr 29, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, they never make the junk mail out of absorbent paper, it's always that shiny, scratchy stuff. :rofl: It does prevent impulse buying if you only leaf through catalogs while on the toilet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?