1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bathroom scale compression problem

1. Dec 15, 2004 #1
    if you stand on a bathroom scale, the spring inside the scale compresses .50 mm, and it tells you your weight is 700 N. Now if you jump on the scale from a height of 1.4 m, what does the scale read at this peak.

i found an equation to use, i just can't figure out what i'm solving for. i'm using
    mgh = 1/2kx^2

i have m (71.4) g (9.8) and h (1.4). what i don't know is k and x. can any one help please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This is a statement of conservation of mechanical energy: the initial gravitational PE is transformed into spring PE.

k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring from its uncompressed position. You can figure out the spring constant from Hooke's law (using the data supplied in the problem set up): F = -kx.
  4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    Yeah k can be determined from the given data.

One more thing!

When you jump from a ht. of 1.4 m, the gravitational PE lost by you is definitely stored as PE in spring. But You are not actually falling 1.4 m but you are falling 1.4 m PLUS the distance contracted bythe spring.

In this case, it wouldn't make much of a difference(why?)
    Anyway, you should know the concept! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?