Batteries and their Limitations

• Thread starter WCOLtd
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I would like to know what batteries are, are they just any physical thing that can have and hold electrons more to one side than the other? What are the limitations to how much charge can be held in a certain amount of space, or in a certain amount of mass? How close are we to that limitation with say our most space or mass efficient batteries?

Answers and Replies

Wow, very broad questions. In general, batteries store energy in terms of chemical reactions. A device which stores an excess of electrons (charge) is called a capacitor, not a battery.

As for your other questions, there are many kinds of batteries. I suggest Wikipedia as good place to study them.

Doug Huffman
Gold Member
I like batteryuniversity.com
The material is based on “Batteries in a Portable World – A Handbook on Rechargeable Batteries for Non-Engineers” (3rd edition). The 328-page book is available to purchase on-line. Battery University™ is sponsored by Cadex Electronics Inc., a manufacturer of advanced battery chargers and test devices. Enjoy reading Battery University, Isidor Buchmann,CEO and Founder, Cadex Electronics Inc.