Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Batteries in series question

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    Hey Guys, there is one question which is bugging me for the last couple of weeks. I am an embedded software engineer and when it comes to very deep understanding what is going it in the electrical circuits I struggle a lot. Recently I have decided to go through the course of physics again especially electrostatics and electrodynamics and being an engineer started asking questions to myself which never thought about when I was a student.
    One of the questions which I bumped into and can't find an answer is this one:

Suppose I have two batteries connected in series. Why the voltages are added together.
    I understand roughly physics and electro-chemistry of how the battery works alone. But I am getting lost when
    two batteries are connected series. How do electrons get more potential energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Welcome to PF;
    Same reason that if you put a hill on top of another hill the heights are added together.
    The electrons get more energy the same way that carrying a weight up both hills gets it more energy.
    Starting from the highest +ve side - the first battery lifts the electrons through V1 and delivers them to the +ve side of the next battery which lifts them a further V2 for a total of V1+V2.

(Conventional charges go the other way...)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook