Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Batteries in series

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    Hello, I can't image what is the exact path of electrons in two or more batteries conncted in series... if electrodes are immersed into the electrolytes and chemical reactions should continously happen why the circuit in the picture down here has no activity ?

5751d1350037300-series-battery-crcre.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Connect the two outside points with a resistor so current can flow. Your ammeter will then show that current, which is V/R.

The resistance of an ideal ammeter is zero, so your voltmeter will not register anything, even if a current is flowing. A real ammeter has a small resistnce, so the voltmeter will measure a small voltage across it when a current is flowing through it.

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

scientifico

The chemical reaction in the electrolyte doesnt start till the circuit between the positive and negative terminals of the battery are connected ( ignoring the small loss caused by the internal resistance of the battery .... which of course gives it a limited shelf life)

look again at the drawing I did for you in the other forum and I post again here
    for how to connect up meters correctly to measure voltage and current

attachment.php?attachmentid=52039&stc=1&d=1350525381.gif

there MUST be a complete circuit path external to the battery(ies) before current will flow

Dave

Attached Files:

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    what prevents chemical reactions to happen since electrodes and electrolyte are in contact ?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  6. Oct 19, 2012 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

read the first sentance of my previous post :)

Dave

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6
    Actually it is an ELECTRO-Chemical reaction and it does "start" as soon as the battery is assembled, but immediately reaches equilibrium with no current (typically) 1.5v per cell, and no current.

As a circuit is completed the, outside of the battery, electrons flow out of the negative side and into the positive terminal and offset the equilibrium in the call and the electro-chemical reaction can continue.

8. Oct 19, 2012 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

one quote ....

another quote....

neither example ( and a couple of others I looked at) talks about any reaction initially reaching equilibrium
    Do you have a www site that explains that initial equilibrium reaction you speak of ?
    Am always willing to learn more

cheers
    Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook