Batteries in solar-powered cars

• Thread starter huzzi.123
  • Start date
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Many DC-DC converters actually contain a step down (or up) transformer...

They take in DC at one voltage
Convert it to High Frequency AC.
Pass it through a step down (or up) converter
Turn it back into DC at another voltage.

I saw so many photos of the DC-DC converters and it looks really different from the transformers like it has diodes, capacitors and inductors. Is there any specific kind of DC-DC convert that functions as a transformer?

berkeman
Mentor
I saw so many photos of the DC-DC converters and it looks really different from the transformers like it has diodes, capacitors and inductors. Is there any specific kind of DC-DC convert that functions as a transformer?

Have you read the wikipedia link on DC-DC converters? Do you have a specific question about it?

Have you read the wikipedia link on DC-DC converters? Do you have a specific question about it?

Switch mode DC-DC converter and magnetic DC-DC converter. Both of them store their energy in magnetic field and thus the transformer.

Just to make sure:
So to convert from DC to AC, I'd have to use an inverter to make sure AC goes into the transformer. And an alternating low-voltage value comes out of the transformer has to go through a rectifier for it to be converted to DC and then it goes to batteries to charge them up.

berkeman
Mentor
Switch mode DC-DC converter and magnetic DC-DC converter. Both of them store their energy in magnetic field and thus the transformer.

Just to make sure:
So to convert from DC to AC, I'd have to use an inverter to make sure AC goes into the transformer. And an alternating low-voltage value comes out of the transformer has to go through a rectifier for it to be converted to DC and then it goes to batteries to charge them up.

Sort of. A switch-mode DC-DC converter can either boost the input voltage up to a higher DC voltage (with the AC waveform as an intermediate waveform), or it can convert the input DC to a lower output DC voltage. It all depends on what your voltage source is and what kind of output voltage you need.

And you can even use slightly more complicated DC-DC converters, which can either boost or lower in their transfer function. One version of this is called a SEPIC converter. It is used for example when your source voltage may be coming in either above or below your desired output voltage.