Motor Power, Torque & Battery Run Time for Miter Saw Tool

In summary, a 15 Amp motor with 120 VDC and 5500 rpm was attached to a Miter Saw tool. The HP of the motor is uncertain, but it is believed to be around 5.5 HP. However, the size of the motor is only 6 inches long and 4 inches in diameter, causing doubt about the horsepower rating. It is not possible to calculate the torque of the motor based on the known facts. The motor cannot be run using a 20 Volt DC battery with 3 Ah rating, as the motor requires 120 VDC to run. Attempting to run the motor on only 20 VDC would result in very low power and may not even cause the motor to rotate.
Curious007
I saw 15 Amp motor which runs on 120 VDC with 5500 rpm [This motor was attached to Miter Saw tool]. I'm not sure what's HP of that motor, but I read 5.5 HP, however the size of motor is around 6 inch long and 4 inch diameter (Is it possible this small motor have 5.5 Hp? And can we calculate torque of the motor based on above known facts?).

Now my other question is : Can I run this 120 VDC motor using this 20 Volt DC with 3 Ah rating battery? If so how long I can run this motor using it?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, 15A at 120V and 95% efficiency would be 2.3 horsepower.

I seem to remember that vacuum cleaner manufacturers play games with horsepower ratings, so it wouldn't surprise me if circular saw manufacturers did too.

May be that was mistake of Shop guy who put 5.5 HP sticker on it.

But other thing is can we run that motor using 20 V DC battery with 3 Ah rating? for 1 or 1 minutes?

A 120V motor will not work on 20V. I doubt whether, on only 17% of its rated voltage, it will even rotate at all. Basically, with 17% Volts, you could expect to get just 2.8% of its power (i.e. 17% of 17%) - even if everything else was perfectly pro-rata - and there is a threshold below which nothing will happen. You might expect about 2.5A to pass.

BTW, the current that the motor will pass is determined basically by the supply volts - too few supply volts will just not make enough current flow. A low voltage motor is designed with much fewer coils of fatter wire (as in a car starter motor).

I can provide a response to your questions about the motor power, torque, and battery run time for the miter saw tool.

Firstly, the motor power of a 15 Amp motor running on 120 VDC and with a speed of 5500 rpm is approximately 5.5 HP. This is a common measure of power for motors, and it is possible for a motor of this size to have 5.5 HP. However, it is also important to consider the efficiency of the motor, which can affect the actual power output.

To calculate the torque of the motor, we would need additional information such as the weight of the saw blade and the distance from the center of the motor to the blade. With this information, we could use the equation T = F x d to calculate the torque, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

As for your second question, it is possible to run the 120 VDC motor using a 20 Volt DC battery with a 3 Ah rating. However, the run time will depend on the efficiency of the motor and the load it is under. The higher the load, the shorter the run time will be. It is difficult to estimate exactly how long the motor can run on this battery without knowing the specific details of the motor and the saw.

In conclusion, the 15 Amp motor on the miter saw tool has a power of approximately 5.5 HP, and the torque can be calculated with additional information. It is possible to run the motor with a 20 Volt DC battery, but the run time will vary depending on the load. I hope this answers your questions.

What is motor power and how does it affect a miter saw's performance?

Motor power refers to the amount of energy or force that a miter saw's motor can generate. It is typically measured in amps or horsepower. The higher the motor power, the more powerful the saw will be, allowing it to cut through thicker or tougher materials with ease. However, a higher motor power also means a heavier saw and potentially higher energy consumption.

What is torque and why is it important in a miter saw?

Torque is the measure of rotational force that a miter saw's motor can produce. It is important because it determines the saw's ability to cut through dense or hard materials, as well as its ability to maintain a consistent and smooth cutting motion. A miter saw with high torque will be more efficient and effective in cutting through tough materials, but it may also use up battery power more quickly.

How does the battery run time affect a miter saw's performance?

The battery run time of a miter saw refers to how long the saw can operate on a single charge. This is important because it determines the saw's overall productivity and efficiency. A longer battery run time means the saw can be used for longer periods without needing to be recharged, resulting in more work being completed. However, a longer battery run time may also mean a heavier and more expensive battery.

What factors can affect the battery run time of a miter saw?

There are several factors that can affect the battery run time of a miter saw, including the quality and capacity of the battery, the type of materials being cut, and the power and torque settings being used. Using a high-quality, high-capacity battery and adjusting the cutting settings can help maximize the battery run time.

How can I determine the appropriate motor power, torque, and battery run time for my miter saw needs?

The ideal motor power, torque, and battery run time for a miter saw will vary depending on your specific needs and the types of projects you will be working on. It is important to carefully consider the materials you will be cutting, the frequency of use, and your budget when choosing a miter saw. Be sure to also read reviews and consult with experts to find the best fit for your needs.