1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery and potential difference

1. Feb 23, 2005 #1
    A battery fully charges a parallel plate air gap capacitor. The battery is removed and the plates are pulled apart. What happens to the potential difference between the plates as they are being separated?

So I guess resistance and I operate over a certain length. So the length is increasing, so that means resistance and length increase, so potential difference increases? Is this correct logic?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2005 #2
    What resistance? caps should have infinate resistance between the plates. There is an equation relating charge to the distance between the plates isn't there?

4. Feb 23, 2005 #3
    Well if the electric field stays the same and distance increases than electric potential would increase. A batterys job is simply to move electrons from one plate to another basically, so with no battery connected no electrons could be moved from each plate to make up for the change in distance and the potential would increase, correct?

5. Feb 23, 2005 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

The Potential would increase, as work is required to move the plates apart.

Claude.

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5
    When you think capacitance you involve capactiance concepts when trhe question asks about the potential difference between the two plates!

i believe you have a formula for the voltage across two plates in a parallel plate capacitor whjich is related to the charge, distance and area of the two plates. Since you only change one thing d (distance between the plates) V will change accordingly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?