Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery and resistance

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    Hi every one,

I placed a multimeter probe across the terminals of a 1.5 v alkaline battery and saw 2 M Ohms, I did the same across a mV power supply at 1.5 volts and got little below 1.5 K ohms. I dont understand what makes them have diffrent resistance, and exactly why?

I did this because I had an odd situation with a SIL 2 (safty integrity level) rated gas analyser, the analyser would only work with a real sensor or a battery at correct voltage, but not a simulator (e.g mV supply).The diffrence as it seems is the sensor has very high impedance. So i measured the resistance of the battery and the supply, and now i am confused why the battery shows such high resistance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That's not how you measure the output resistance of a voltage source. The DMM resistance measurement is for passive devices, not for active sources of voltage or current.

Instead, make 2 output voltage and current measurements using 2 different resistors, and solve the 2 simultaneous equations for the source resistance of the voltage source. Are you familiar with that measurement technique?

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

ttsky: You might want to read up on how an ohmmeter works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohmmeter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook