1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery charged by a generator

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a generator of e.m.f 20V and internal resistance of 0.5 ohm is used to charge a car battery of emf 12V and internal resistance 0.10 ohm.They are connected in series together with a resistance R whose value is adjusted to give a charging current of 2.0A.

I was asked to calculate
    a) value of R
    b) power of generator
    c) total rate of dissipation of electrical energy
    d) rate at which the battery stores chemical energy
    e) efficiency of the whole operation

2. Relevant equations
    P=VI
    emf = I(R+r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried combining the 2 emfs and it sounds really funny, so i tried subtracting instead and still can't ring a bell.

How exactly can i calculate the rate at which a battery stores chemical energy?
    anyone kindly provide me with an appropriate formula thanks.
    better yet explain the whole question so i can answer other similar questions which caused me the same headaches...=S

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello cyy91

As a first step, draw out the diagram for this configuration. Seeing the diagram visually might make this problem seem a little easier.

You need to calculate the power flowing into the battery's emf section (hint: it involves the battery's emf and the current flowing through it [albeit in the reverse direction as normal] :wink:).

I think that once you start with the diagram, and work through what components are dissipating/using what power, things will fall into place. :cool:

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    thx fr da help collinsmark...truly helps...:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook