Battery Charger using LM317

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a battery charger using an LM317 regulator. The regulator charges three batteries successively and switches between them using a relay and a voltage comparator. The switches are paralleled with a resistor to provide a trickle charge for self-discharged batteries. The expected current for a 12V 10Ah battery is calculated based on state-of-charge voltage levels. It is recommended to add good hysteresis in the comparator circuit to compensate for voltage drops when a relay is opened. Additional experimentation is suggested to fine-tune the hysteresis value.
krispots
I'm designing a battery charger consisting of an LM317. The regulator will charge three batteries successively, for example, when battery 1 reaches a terminal voltage of 13.8, a voltage comparator will activate a relay that will switch on the second battery while switching off the switch for battery 1. The same will happen to the third battery when the second battery attains a full charge.

Also, all the switches are paralleled with a resistor so that a trickle charge will compensate for the self-discharge of the battery when the switch for that battery has been turned off.

For a 12V 10Ah, with the configuration attached below, here is my expected current to be delivered to the battery that is currently charging,

I = (Vs - Vb) / 1 ohm

I have researched the state-of-charge voltage level of the battery, based on a 0.1C charge rate:

80% 13.8V
60% 13.4V
40% 13.1V
20% 12.8V

(these are just approximations, the paper where i read this said that the average error is less than 5% )

therefore, as the battery voltage increases, the charging current decreases:

Imax = (13.85 - 12) / 1 = 1.85A
Imin = (13.85 - 13.8) / 1 = 50mA

so that means that from the moment the switch is turned on for the current battery, 1.85A is being delivered, and then when the 80% charge has been reach, only 50mA is being delivered. The remaining capacity will be fully charged by trickle charge.

my question is, am I correct with everything I said?

Attachments

• temp2.JPG
    temp2.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 608
Engineering news on Phys.org
Be sure to put good hysteresis in your comparator circuit. When a relay is opened, the voltage sensed across the battery will drop some. You might want to experiment some with one battery to see what that voltage drop is like, and then use that to help tune up your hysteresis value in the comparator circuits.

1. How does the LM317 battery charger work?

The LM317 is a voltage regulator that can be used to charge batteries by regulating the output voltage to a specific level. It takes in an unregulated DC input and converts it to a stable, adjustable output voltage, which is then used to charge the battery.

2. What type of batteries can be charged using the LM317?

The LM317 can be used to charge most types of rechargeable batteries, including lead-acid, nickel-cadmium, and lithium-ion batteries. However, the charging parameters may need to be adjusted depending on the type and capacity of the battery being charged.

3. Can I use the LM317 to charge multiple batteries at once?

Yes, the LM317 can be used to charge multiple batteries in parallel. However, it is important to ensure that the charging current is divided evenly among the batteries to prevent overcharging or undercharging.

4. Is it safe to leave the battery connected to the LM317 charger overnight?

It is generally safe to leave the battery connected to the LM317 charger overnight, as long as the charger is functioning properly and the charging parameters are set correctly. However, it is always recommended to monitor the charging process and disconnect the battery once it is fully charged to prevent overcharging.

5. What are the advantages of using the LM317 for battery charging?

The LM317 offers a simple and cost-effective solution for charging batteries. It has a wide input voltage range, adjustable output voltage, and can handle high currents, making it suitable for a variety of battery charging applications. Additionally, the LM317 has built-in overcurrent and overtemperature protection, making it a safe and reliable choice for battery charging.