Connecting a Charger to a Battery: Positive Side Matching

In summary, the individual's son pulled the wires off of the charging plug for his motorcycle and they are wondering how to properly connect the charger to the battery. They confirm that connecting the positive side of the charger to the positive side of the battery is the correct method, similar to how you jump start a dead battery. They also express frustration with keeping their teenage sons away from their tools.
nutsandbolts
My son pulled the wires off of the charging plug for his motorcycle (mini-bike).
I can use a Fluke to determine what side is positive comming from the charger, and trace the positive side from the battery to the charging socket.
My question is when charging do I connect the positive side of the charger to the positive side of the battery?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nutsandbolts said:
My son pulled the wires off of the charging plug for his motorcycle (mini-bike).
I can use a Fluke to determine what side is positive comming from the charger, and trace the positive side from the battery to the charging socket.
My question is when charging do I connect the positive side of the charger to the positive side of the battery?

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, that is how you connect a charger. Just think about how you jump start a dead battery...

Confirm what Bman states...yes

Thank you. My original thought was that when connected and power is drawn out then the battery is connected positive to positive and negative to the frame. If I then want to put power back in then I need to go in the oposite direction, WRONG again.
I understand your explanation of jumping a flat battery.
My only other question is "Where is my soldering iron"? or better still "how do I keep my teenage sons away from my tools"? You can't help with these questions, but thanks for your help with the polarity issue.

Yes, it is important to connect the positive side of the charger to the positive side of the battery when charging. This ensures that the electrical current flows in the correct direction and charges the battery properly. If the wires were pulled off the charging plug, it is important to make sure they are reattached correctly to avoid any potential damage to the battery or the charger. Using a Fluke to determine the positive side can help ensure the correct connection. It is always important to follow the manufacturer's instructions when charging any type of battery to ensure proper and safe charging.

1. How do I know when my battery is fully charged?

When your battery is fully charged, the charging indicator light will turn green or the charging percentage will reach 100%.

2. Can I charge my device while it is turned off?

Yes, you can charge your device while it is turned off. However, it may take longer for the battery to fully charge compared to when the device is turned on.

3. Can I use any charging cable for my device?

No, it is recommended to use the charging cable that came with your device or a certified replacement. Using a non-certified cable may damage your device or cause it to charge slower.

4. Is it safe to leave my device charging overnight?

Yes, most devices are designed to stop charging once the battery reaches 100%. However, it is recommended to unplug your device once it is fully charged to avoid overheating and prolong the battery's lifespan.

5. Does charging my device in a car charge it faster?

No, charging your device in a car may actually charge it slower due to the lower voltage from the car's USB port. It is best to use the original charger or a high-powered charger for faster charging.