Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery charging connection

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    My son pulled the wires off of the charging plug for his motorcycle (mini-bike).
    I can use a Fluke to determine what side is positive comming from the charger, and trace the positive side from the battery to the charging socket.
    My question is when charging do I connect the positive side of the charger to the positive side of the battery?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Yes, that is how you connect a charger. Just think about how you jump start a dead battery...

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    Confirm what Bman states....yes

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4
    Thank you. My original thought was that when connected and power is drawn out then the battery is connected positive to positive and negative to the frame. If I then want to put power back in then I need to go in the oposite direction, WRONG again.
    I understand your explanation of jumping a flat battery.
    My only other question is "Where is my soldering iron"? or better still "how do I keep my teenage sons away from my tools"? You can't help with these questions, but thanks for your help with the polarity issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook