Battery Charging Possibilities

In summary: It is true that some portion of the operating temperature range will completely swamp the OP's input power and uses most of that power over the rest.I found this one after only a few minutes search.This seems like a much more efficient solution, especially for a 10V input. What are the costs and time requirements for making and testing this type of circuit?BoBThe costs and time requirements for making and testing this type of circuit would likely be higher than just using a two chip solution. However, this would be an efficient and effective way to charge a 850mAh battery.
Macgyverasb
Is it possible to charge a 7.4V 850mAh lipo battery on a 10V 4mA power source?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Macgyverasb said:
Is it possible?

Yes ... with appropriate circuitry

but it's going to be a very slow charge

Macgyverasb said:
Is it possible to charge a 7.4V 850mAh lipo battery on a 10V 4mA power source?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks everyone!
Yes, possible but only just. It will take a long time, and you may need a custom designed quite unique charging circuit.

NascentOxygen said:
quite unique charging circuit

Unique does not properly describe this type of circuit. Most of the usual suspects (Analog Devices, Maxim, National, etc.) produce devices that will certainly work with that level of input. They also go very low voltage and even higher voltage with lower currents.

Advanced or innovative would be better adjectives to use. The good news is that you get that cutting edge technology at a relative low per unit cost.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Most of the usual suspects (Analog Devices, Maxim, National, etc.) produce devices that will certainly work with that level of input.
I'm surprised to learn that, given that it sounds like such a narrow niche market. Can you point to an IC that can directly charge an 850 mAH cell while drawing less than 4 mA total?

http://www.linear.com/product/LT8490.

This cycles rapidly to discharge the input capacitor then let's it recharge and repeat. It is designed for solar panels but I don't see why it could not be used for any high impedance power source.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
http://www.linear.com/product/LT8490.

This cycles rapidly to discharge the input capacitor then let's it recharge and repeat. It is designed for solar panels but I don't see why it could not be used for any high impedance power source.

BoB
Seems that the 8490s quiescent current is not going to leave anything for the battery.

It is true that some portion of the operating temperature range will completely swamp the OP's input power and uses most of that power over the rest. I know that it is not really efficient for 10V 4mA but I found this one after only a few minutes search. The last time I did any real research into this type of circuit was a couple of years ago. The goal was 5V 2mA. I remember I found something that may have worked even that low but it was cost prohibitive so we just went with a larger battery.

A two chip solution would probably be best. Use the same technique but have the charge operation completely shut down during capacitor charging from a harvester. Boosting to a higher intermediate capacitor voltage would probably help.

BoB

What is battery charging?

Battery charging is the process of replenishing energy in a rechargeable battery by supplying an electrical current to it. This restores the battery's energy so it can be used again.

What are the different types of battery charging?

The different types of battery charging include trickle charging, fast charging, and smart charging. Trickle charging is a slow and continuous charging process, while fast charging delivers a high current to quickly charge the battery. Smart charging uses advanced technology to optimize the charging process for maximum efficiency and battery health.

How long does it take to charge a battery?

The time it takes to charge a battery depends on the type and capacity of the battery, as well as the charging method being used. Trickle charging can take several hours, while fast charging can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. Smart charging can take longer but is more efficient and better for the battery's lifespan.

Can I overcharge a battery?

Yes, overcharging a battery can damage it and reduce its lifespan. This is why it is important to use the correct charging method and monitor the battery's charging time. Smart charging technology can help prevent overcharging by automatically adjusting the charging rate.

Are there any safety precautions when charging a battery?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when charging a battery. Make sure to use the appropriate charger for the specific type of battery. Do not overcharge the battery or leave it charging unattended. It is also important to keep the charging area well-ventilated and avoid exposing the battery to extreme temperatures.