I endorse your disagreement. The only way you will get 'too much' charge in a capacitor will be if there is some appreciable series Inductance in the circuit and that can lead to voltage magnification due to series resonance.Yeah I have to disagree with that one too
have hooked hundreds of capacitors across batteries no one of them has even got hot, let alone exploded
The only way it may explode is if the capacitor voltage rating is much lower than the applied voltage.
And many many years ago as a young learner I did explode a cap with a 150V rating when I accidentally placed 240V AC across it oops
You are more likely to damage a Capacitor by Shorting it out, due to the potentially high discharge current. Any battery will have an appreciable internal resistance and limit the charge current.