Is My Laptop Battery Really Dead After 2 Months of Storage?

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the battery in the laptop died and it is not an operating system issue.
yungman
I have an older Win 7 laptop that I put it away for 2 months. I power it up lately, few things gone wrong. The computer said my battery died and have 0 charge even though I have it plugged in for over a day. Whenever I unplug the power, the computer just shut down completely.

It's very hard for me to believe the battery die with two months storage. Can it be some Windows or software issue? If so, how do I check it?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The battery has a finite lifetime and without a charge on it, it will die especially if it isn't new. Find a replacement online is the best advice, it isn't an operating system issue.

Likes 1 person
yungman said:
It's very hard for me to believe the battery die with two months storage.

Lithium-ion batteries deteriorate even when not used , (e.g. during those two months).

Laptop batteries only last about 3 years ...
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001236.htm

Likes yungman
Thanks

I am not going to buy new battery. The computer is 3 years old, I change to a newer W8 computer and it's unreliable. The battery worth more than the computer at this point.

I wonder when the W9 going to come out. I definitely don't want W8, W7 is a little old.

yungman said:
Thanks

I am not going to buy new battery. The computer is 3 years old, I change to a newer W8 computer and it's unreliable. The battery worth more than the computer at this point.

I wonder when the W9 going to come out. I definitely don't want W8, W7 is a little old.

Yes, you are right. You need to change your battery for this reason. Because it is old now. 3 years old. that is so much..

Likes yungman
Follow up:

Yes, it's the battery. I bought one on Amazon for only $22 and it works like a champ. Thanks everyone. I did not think the battery die so sudden!

Wow, everything here change! I have to look around to navigate through!

1. Why did my laptop battery die?

There could be several reasons why your laptop battery died. It could be due to overcharging, frequent use, or simply old age. It is important to properly maintain and use your laptop battery to prolong its lifespan.

2. How long should a laptop battery last?

The lifespan of a laptop battery can vary depending on the type of battery, usage habits, and the age of the laptop. Generally, a laptop battery should last between 2-4 years before needing to be replaced.

3. Can a dead laptop battery be fixed?

In some cases, a dead laptop battery can be fixed by recalibrating it or replacing individual cells. However, if the battery is too old or damaged, it may need to be replaced entirely.

4. How can I prevent my laptop battery from dying?

To prevent your laptop battery from dying, it is important to properly maintain it by avoiding overcharging, not letting it fully drain, and keeping it at a moderate temperature. Additionally, limiting the number of programs and processes running on your laptop can also help prolong battery life.

5. How do I know when it's time to replace my laptop battery?

If your laptop battery is consistently draining quickly or not holding a charge at all, it may be time to replace it. You can also check the battery health in your laptop's settings to see if it is at the end of its lifespan.