Understanding Battery Discharge & Peukert's Law

In summary: I found that a formula , known as Peukert's Law. this law is used to calculate the discharge time but i didnt get the rated and the actual thing.Peukert's Law is a formula used to calculate discharge time. It's a bit complicated, but it basically states that the discharge time is proportional to the product of the battery's internal resistance and the square of the battery's discharge current.
botanzee

Homework Statement

i have to do a scientific research about finding the best batteries specifications. for this case the battery should last long as possible . there are 3 characteristics : Voltage , Capacity and inner resistance .
i have measured voltage over the time. when i used smaller resistances the voltage decreases faster. why?
when i first plug in the battery the change is significant. why it happens this way? i searched the internet and find out duracell's discharge graph. in their graph also the first change is significant.

i used a 9v battery and measured it until the voltage is decreased to 7.9 and then i unplugged it. after a while i did the same measurement again (but with different voltmeters) and saw that the initial voltage was 8.6? how can this happen? or is it a meaurement problem?

I found that a formula , known as Peukert's Law. this law is used to calculate the discharge time but i didnt get the rated and the actual thing.
Thank you for everything:)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
botanzee said:
For this case the battery should last long as possible.
Then you want the battery with the highest amount of energy storage or capacity, usually stated as milli-amp hours or amp hours.

botanzee said:
inner resistance
This only affects the maximum amount of current the battery can supply.

botanzee said:
I have measured voltage over the time. when i used smaller resistances the voltage decreases faster. why?
For a normal battery, voltage is less if current is more. Voltage also decreases as capacity is used up, so voltage decreases faster if current is less.

botanzee said:
When i first plug in the battery the change is significant. why it happens this way?
It is normal for most batteries to have a steeper iniitial voltage drop.

botanzee said:
I used a 9v battery and measured it until the voltage is decreased to 7.9 and then i unplugged it. after a while i did the same measurement again (but with different voltmeters) and saw that the initial voltage was 8.6? how can this happen?
Batteries can "recover" somewhat when not outputting current (it's related to temperature and internal chemical changes that occur over time.

One way to think about a battery is that the internal resistance increases as the battery discharges.

1. What is battery discharge?

Battery discharge refers to the process of a battery releasing stored electrical energy as it powers a device or system. This can happen gradually over time as the battery is used, or it can occur quickly when a large amount of power is drawn from the battery at once.

2. What is Peukert's Law?

Peukert's Law is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between a battery's capacity, discharge rate, and runtime. It states that as the discharge rate increases, the battery's effective capacity decreases, meaning it will not run for as long as it would at a lower discharge rate.

3. How does Peukert's Law affect battery performance?

Peukert's Law shows that the faster a battery is discharged, the less energy it can provide before reaching its cutoff voltage. This means that high discharge rates can significantly reduce a battery's runtime and available capacity. It also means that using a battery for high-power applications may require a larger battery or a battery with a higher Peukert's exponent to compensate for the decreased runtime.

4. What factors can influence Peukert's Law?

The main factors that can influence Peukert's Law are the battery's chemistry, temperature, and age. Different types of batteries have different Peukert's exponents, which can affect how quickly their capacity decreases with higher discharge rates. Temperature can also impact a battery's performance, as colder temperatures can decrease a battery's effective capacity. Finally, as a battery ages, it may have a higher Peukert's exponent, meaning it will be less efficient at high discharge rates compared to when it was new.

5. How can I ensure optimal battery performance while considering Peukert's Law?

To ensure optimal battery performance while considering Peukert's Law, it is important to choose a battery with a suitable Peukert's exponent for the intended application. It is also crucial to maintain the battery at a consistent temperature and avoid high discharge rates whenever possible. Additionally, regularly monitoring the battery's capacity and replacing it when it no longer meets the required runtime can help ensure optimal performance.