Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Battery duration for µA rate

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    Hi everybody,

I would like to use a 9V pp3 battery with a device with a rate of order of µA. Iwanted to use Peukert's law to calculate the duration of my battery but I am not quite sure if it is applicable for such low current... Won't a battery with 1200mAh capacity discharge too fast?

Thanks

Damien

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Peukert's law appears to apply to lead-acid batteries, like car batteries, not to 9V alkaline batteries.

To calculate battery life, look at the battery datasheet (get it from the manufacturer's website), and look for the discharge time line for that low current.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will have to look at the battery's self-drain rate and shelf-life, because just taking into account the load by itself won't give you an accurate estimate. For example, 10 micro-amps at 9V (90 micro-watts) would take 5000 days (13.7 years) to drain a 1200 mAh 9V battery.

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It also appears that Peukert's law is meant to be applied to when the drain rate on a battery is larger than 1A, but not necessarily the micro amp range.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook