The Role of Batteries in Electrical Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the analogy of a battery in a circuit to a pump and raises questions about the role of the battery in providing energy and driving the movement of charge. The comparison to hydronic systems is mentioned and the concept of EMF and pressure is explained. The direction of electrons and charge is also discussed.
raddy59
I have a physics book that describes a battery in a circuit as like a pump that provided energy to the charge (e.g. a 1.5 volt battery gives 1.5 joules of energy to each coulomb of charge).

Am I right in assuming that the energy in a circuit is directly derived from the chemical/electrical energy generated by the battery?, Or does the battery provide the difference in emf that drives the movement of the charge?

maybe the "pump" analogy is giving me a wrong idea?

Just need to clear this up in my head 'cos I can't move on until I do

Engineering news on Phys.org

Electric circuits and their elements , and units are sometimes compared to hydronic systems. EMF = pressure, capacitor = membrane, ampere = l/sec etc The pump that provide kinetic energy, would be better compared to an electric generator. The battery, a static energy accumulator, would be better compared to an inflated air ballon.

Yuri

The battery - does it provide the power, or does it push the electrons through/around the circuit to operate the lights/heaters etc?

Hydronic e.g. - would the "batter", does it introduce water into the system or just push the water impulse)?

Because pressurised water cannot carry much energy (being incompressible), but air can (compressible), I take as example the inflated ballon. But both water and air behave as fluids - as well as electrons.
Emf is force (either in the generator, and in the battery) that forces electrons to move in a conductor. Pressure (either in the pump, and in the ballon) forces molecules to move in a pipe /duct.

Yuri

So the electrical energy generated in the battery - does it bring anything to the mix, or just provide impulse. Does it add to the flow of electricity through the circuit apart from a push?

Another point - is it true that the direction of electrons is opposite to the direction of the charge?

Thanks for your replies

The charge "pushes" and keeps going the flow of electrons as soon as there appears a circuit between the poles, and the more is the charge, the more electrons get involved in this process, named "electric current".

Electrons jump from the orbit of one atom to the orbit (the "hole") of a neigbouring atom. Electrons carry the negative charge, the holes carry the positive charge. It is used to say that the current moves from plus to minus, but actually, the electrons are swapping atomic orbits from minus to plus (it is the "holes" that keep moving from plus to minus)

I am afraid, however, nobody will ever see an electron - the idea of electric current is a (most) plosible one among the probably many others.

1. How does a battery function in a circuit?

A battery functions in a circuit by providing a source of electrical energy. When connected to a circuit, the battery's chemical reactions produce a flow of electrons, creating a potential difference between the terminals of the battery. This potential difference, or voltage, creates an electric field that allows current to flow through the circuit.

2. What is the role of a battery in a circuit?

The role of a battery in a circuit is to provide a source of electrical energy. This energy can then be used to power electronic devices, such as lights, motors, and sensors.

3. How does the voltage of a battery affect its function in a circuit?

The voltage of a battery determines the amount of potential energy it can supply to a circuit. Higher voltage batteries can provide more energy and power to a circuit, while lower voltage batteries may not be able to power certain devices.

4. Can a battery function in a circuit without being connected to other components?

No, a battery cannot function in a circuit without being connected to other components. The flow of electrons, or current, requires a complete loop or circuit in order to flow from the battery's positive terminal to its negative terminal.

5. How does the type of battery affect its function in a circuit?

The type of battery can affect its function in a circuit in terms of its voltage, capacity, and size. For example, a larger battery may have a higher voltage and capacity, allowing it to power larger or more energy-demanding devices. Additionally, different types of batteries, such as lithium-ion or alkaline, may have different chemical reactions and therefore different characteristics in a circuit.