Battery Help Needed: Power Circuitry Design Explained

• Thread starter roberts26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the experimenter is looking for advice on how to power a circuit using batteries. They are considering using two sets of batteries (one for +-12V and one for +-6V), a DC:DC converter to generate +-12V, and a small lead-acid battery to supply the +/- 12V.
roberts26
Hi,

I am attaching the schematic of a circuit. I need to power up this entire circuit using batteries. Basically i need two sets of voltages, "+-12 V for the opamps and +-6 for the 50Kohm resistor in the schematic.(This is not my design). If anyone has an idea how can I do this I would be very much greatful if you can shareit with me. I would really appreciate if you can explain the power circuitry design please.

Attachments

• 50Hz Notch filter and the subsequent electronics.jpg
    50Hz Notch filter and the subsequent electronics.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 410
Engineering news on Phys.org
How long a battery life do you need, how much space can you use?

For a bench experiment I would be tempted to just use 2 x 12V lead acid batteries back-back, small alarm batteries are cheap and store lots of power.
For a portable device you are probably going to have to use a chargepump DCD-DC converter to generate +-12V from 4x1.5V batteries.

The the 50K I would get from the +-12V, just add a couple of fixed resistors each side of the variable one to limit the range to +-6, it's going into an op-amp so it's not taking any current.

Hi,

hm.. The space is not a problem for me. I would atleast want the batteries to last for 45min to an hour. I have thought of using 2*12V batteries.. but a bit confused as it is the first time i am trying to run something like this using batteries.

Can you explain a bit in detail.

Thx

I don't know how much power the op-amps are going to use (it should be on the spec sheet)
To generate +- power from batteries (without any sort of extra DC:DC converter) just connect them in series and take the 0v from the middle.

So +ve terminal of battery 1 = +12V
-ve terminal of battery 1 = 0V, connect to +ve terminal of battery 2
-ve terminal of battery 2 = -12V

(this obviously still applies if each 12V battery is really a box of 8x1.5V batteries connected in series)

I would consider using a single 12V battery, referenced to center ground (i.e. +/- 6V), and a voltage doubler to supply the +/- 12V. Depending on total current draw, perhaps a small lead-acid battery (13.6V at full charge) and a low drop-out regulator. Circuits and chips readily searchable on the web.

1. What is power circuitry and why is it important for battery design?

Power circuitry refers to the components and design used to regulate the flow of electrical power within a system. In battery design, power circuitry is crucial because it ensures the battery is charged and discharged safely and efficiently, maximizing its lifespan and performance.

2. What are the main components of power circuitry in battery design?

The main components of power circuitry in battery design include the charging circuit, the voltage regulator, and the protection circuit. The charging circuit controls the flow of electrical current into the battery, the voltage regulator stabilizes the output voltage, and the protection circuit prevents overcharging and over-discharging of the battery.

3. How do you determine the appropriate power circuitry for a specific battery?

The appropriate power circuitry for a specific battery depends on factors such as the battery chemistry, voltage and capacity, and the intended use. It is important to consult the battery manufacturer's specifications and guidelines, as well as consider the requirements of the device the battery will power.

4. Can power circuitry design impact the performance of a battery?

Yes, power circuitry design can greatly impact the performance and lifespan of a battery. Poorly designed power circuitry can lead to overcharging, over-discharging, and inefficient use of the battery, which can result in reduced performance and a shorter lifespan.

5. What are some common issues that can arise with power circuitry in battery design?

Some common issues that can arise with power circuitry in battery design include thermal runaway, voltage spikes, and voltage drops. These issues can be caused by faulty components, improper design, or external factors such as temperature changes. It is important to regularly monitor and test the power circuitry to identify and address any potential issues.